Authorities investigating the disappearance of Savannah Guthrie’s mother Nancy have confirmed they are currently working on the belief she is “alive”.
Terms and Privacy Policy
Privacy Dashboard
Về quảng cáo của chúng tôi
Up next
FBI releases new surveillance pics in Nancy Guthrie case
KTTV
Add Yahoo as a preferred source to see more of our stories on Google.
Add Yahoo on Google
The FBI on Tuesday released several new pictures of a masked individual outside Nancy Guthrie’s home the morning of her disappearance.
Terms and Privacy Policy
Privacy Dashboard
About Our Ads
Up next
Second ransom deadline passes in search for Nancy Guthrie; Savannah Guthrie pleads for public’s help
CBS-Dallas
Add Yahoo as a preferred source to see more of our stories on Google.
Add Yahoo on Google
“We believe our mom is still out there,” Savannah Guthrie said in a video posted to her Instagram account. “We need your help.”
Terms and Privacy Policy
Privacy Dashboard
About Our Ads
Up next
KTLA
Nancy Guthrie disappearance: What we learned from the doorbell video
Marc Sternfield
4 min read
Add Yahoo as a preferred source to see more of our stories on Google.
Add Yahoo on Google
Doorbell security camera footage released Tuesday shows a masked person with a gun outside the Tucson home of Nancy Guthrie, marking a major development in the search for the 84-year-old mother of “Today” host Savannah Guthrie, who vanished more than a week ago.
Authorities initially reported that the doorbell camera had been removed or disconnected, but investigators recovered the footage from “residual data” stored in backend systems.
Officials say Nancy Guthrie was taken against her will. She was last seen at her home on Jan. 31 and reported missing the next day when she did not attend church. DNA testing confirmed that blood found on her front porch belonged to her.
Family members say she requires daily medication and has multiple health issues, including high blood pressure, mobility limitations and a pacemaker.
Newly recovered video shows masked, armed person approaching home
The surveillance video, released jointly by the Pima County Sheriff’s Department and the FBI, shows a person in a ski mask with openings at the eyes and mouth, a backpack, gloves and what appears to be a handgun holster strapped to their waist.
The individual walks onto the porch, then tries to cover the doorbell camera with a gloved hand and part of a plant ripped from the yard.
FBI Director Kash Patel wrote on X that the video shows “an armed individual appearing to have tampered with the camera at Nancy Guthrie’s front door the morning of her disappearance.”
Investigators previously believed the camera had been disconnected between 1:47 a.m. and 2:28 a.m. Patel said agents spent days searching for lost or corrupted images before discovering “residual data.”
Security camera photos of a person of interest in the Nancy Guthrie case. (AP/FBI)
Former FBI agent: even a masked suspect leaves clues
Former FBI agent Katherine Schweit told the Associated Press that the release could prompt a surge in tips. She said that even heavily covered suspects leave identifiable traits, including gait, body shape and facial structure.
“You can see their girth, the shape of their face, potentially their eyes or mouth,” Schweit said. “You can see a gait that people around that person may recognize immediately.”
Camera initially yielded no footage
Investigators had hoped to use the camera footage early in the case, but Sheriff Chris Nanos said the device was disconnected Sunday morning. Although motion was detected, Guthrie did not have an active subscription, so no footage could be retrieved.
Federal investigators later succeeded in pulling data from backend systems.
Ransom letters and conflicting signals
Ransom notes have complicated the investigation. Some appear to be scams, including one that resulted in an arrest. Another note, reported by Tucson outlets and TMZ, demanded $6 million in Bitcoin and set a deadline of 5 p.m. Monday.
The deadline passed with no sign of Guthrie, and the FBI said it is not aware of direct communication with the family.
FBI spokesperson Connor Hagan said investigators have not identified any suspects.
In this image provided by NBCUniversal, Savannah Guthrie, right, her mom Nancy speak, Wednesday, April 17, 2019, in New York. (Nathan Congleton/NBCUniversal via AP)
Family messages shift from kidnappers to the public
Savannah Guthrie and her siblings have posted several videos throughout the investigation, initially directing messages to the suspected abductors.
In an early message, the family said, “We want to hear from you and we are ready to listen,” and asked for proof their mother was alive.
In later videos, Camron Guthrie pleaded again: “Whoever is out there holding our mother, we want to hear from you. We haven’t heard anything directly.”
A weekend video included the message, “We received your message, and we understand. We beg you now to return our mother to us… this is very valuable to us, and we will pay.”
On Monday, Savannah Guthrie grew more desperate as the ransom deadline approached, saying, “We are at an hour of desperation.”
The home of Nancy Guthrie, the missing mother of “Today” show host Savannah Guthrie, is seen from above, Thursday, Feb. 5, 2026, in Tucson, Ariz. (AP Photo/Caitlin O’Hara)
After the surveillance images were released Tuesday, her message shifted to the public. Posting the stills, she wrote, “We believe she is still alive. Bring her home,” urging anyone nationwide to contact law enforcement. Thousands of comments poured in within minutes.
National attention increases pressure
The FBI has begun posting digital billboards about the case in major cities from Texas to California. White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said President Donald Trump watched the surveillance video and was in “pure disgust,” urging anyone with information to call the FBI.
Authorities say tips are critical as they work to identify the person in the footage.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI or the Pima County Sheriff’s Department.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Copyright 2026 Nexstar Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
NBC Breaks Into Olympics Coverage as Networks Go Wall-to-Wall On New Developments in Nancy Guthrie Case
Joe DePaolo
2 min read
Add Yahoo as a preferred source to see more of our stories on Google.
atest developments in the case that has captivated the nation prompted all three major broadcast networks to break into regular programming Tuesday night.
Just prior to 10 p.m. ET, NBC News made the stunning move to interrupt coverage of the 2026 Winter Olympics to cover the latest developments in the abduction of Nancy Guthrie — the 84-year-old mother of Today show host Savannah Guthrie.
“We are coming on the air with a major development in the Nancy Guthrie case,” anchor Hallie Jackson said, at the outset of what was a 10-minute special report. “NBC News is learning that a man has been detained by law enforcement for questioning in Nancy’s disappearance, this is according to a person familiar with the matter.”
ABC and CBS also broke into regular programming to report the detainment of the individual in connection with the case. World News Tonight anchor David Muir was on the desk for ABC, while overnight anchor Jessi Mitchell helmed the CBS report.
The cable news networks went big on the latest news as well. Fox News pre-empted Gutfeld! to deliver a special hour live from Arizona anchored by Trace Gallagher. The network further announced it would stay on the air live through the night to track the latest developments.
On CNN, Jake Tapper took over the coverage shortly after 10:00 p.m. ET from on the ground in Tuscon. While MS NOW’s Lawrence O’Donnell focused his show’s entire A-Block on the Guthrie case, before switching to other topics — namely, the other big breaking news of the evening, that the DOJ tried and failed to indict six Democratic members of Congress for posting a video in which they urged troops to disregard illegal orders.
Watch above, via NBC News.
The post NBC Breaks Into Olympics Coverage as Networks Go Wall-to-Wall On New Developments in Nancy Guthrie Case first appeared on Mediaite.










