“Don’t think for a minute that because it happened to the Guthrie family, you’re safe,” said Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos in a March 12 interview
The lead investigator in the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie is raising concerns that her apparent abductor will strike again.
During a new NBC News interview, Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos shared insight into the investigation as the search for Nancy — who is Today co-host Savannah Guthrie’s mother — continues for a sixth week.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x0:751x2):format(webp)/nancy-guthrie-sheriff-nanos-021826-d9111bf07b344fe5867a774b1958e16a.jpg)
Nancy Guthrie; Sheriff Chris Nanos.Don Arnold/WireImage; Ty ONeil/AP Photo
Nanos said that authorities believe Nancy was “targeted,” while also warning that no one should rule out the possibility that the suspect could “absolutely” strike again.
“Criminal minds are criminal minds,” the Arizona sheriff told NBC’s Liz Kreutz in a clip from the interview, which aired on the Today show on Friday, March 13.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(719x0:721x2):format(webp)/savannahguthrie_1589122034_2306045223691463807_14728892-9d53b127b047474e926a610dd6b250ca.jpg)
Savannah Guthrie and mother Nancy Guthrie.savannahguthrie/Instagram
“We believe we know why he did this and we believe that it was targeted, but we’re not 100% sure of that,” Nanos continued. “So it’d be silly to tell people, ‘Don’t worry about it. You’re not his target.’ You could be.”
He did not explain why the authorities believe that the suspect could strike again and didn’t expand on other theories surrounding Nancy’s Feb. 1 disappearance.
However, Nanos added that they remain hopeful that the “mixed” DNA found at Nancy’s house will lead investigators to “somebody.”
Sheriff Nanos previously spoke about the possibility of Nancy being targeted in an interview which aired on the Today show on Feb. 18.
“I think this was an individual who had a target for whatever reason, and he has made it tough, but I’ve got some pretty tough investigators too,” said Nanos.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(596x287:598x289):format(webp)/Nancy-Guthrie-suspect-2-021226-8dbcc98834ba489b8d5f91298d7a5400.jpg)
Suspect in Nancy Guthrie kidnapping.FBI Phoenix/X
The Pima County Sheriff’s Department and the FBI haven’t publicly named a suspect or confirmed whether Nancy is alive or dead. At least three people, who are not suspected of any wrongdoing, have been detained and released amid their search for potential leads.
More than a week after Nancy was reported missing, authorities released footage of a masked person tampering with her doorbell camera. The FBI estimated the individual to be “a male, approximately 5’9” – 5’10” tall, with an average build,” but the suspect has not been identified.
Nancy’s relatives have been ruled out as potential suspects.
The FBI is offering a $100,000 reward for anyone with information that could lead to Nancy’s return, while the Guthrie family is offering a $1 million reward of their own.
Anyone with information about Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance is asked to please contact 1-800-CALL-FBI (1-800-225-5324) or the Pima County Sheriff’s Department at 520-351-4900.
News
Breaking: The first v!ctims in the Maldives underwater cave were found at a depth rescuers could barely believe
MALE, Maldives — International cave diving experts have arrived in the Maldives to take over the perilous recovery operation for four missing Italian tourists, a day after a local military rescue diver died attempting to reach them inside a treacherous underwater cave system. Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Vaavu […]
Breaking: The search for four Italians inside an underwater cave in the Maldives has been temporarily paused for a special reason
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka — Authorities in the Maldives have suspended the search for four Italian divers trapped deep inside an underwater cave following the death of a military rescue diver. The five Italians are believed to have died Thursday while exploring a cave system at a depth of about 160 feet (50 meters) in the […]
CCTV Clue: Footage from the time five Maldives tourists vanished has been released, and a mysterious sixth person appears in the frame
An elite squad of divers is in a race against time to recover the final bodies of the five Italians who died in Thursday’s tragic incident in the Maldives — hoping they can reach their remains before the sharks do. Only the body of the doomed group’s diving instructor has been found so far — […]
Oakland Tragedy: The identities of three people k!lled after a car pl0wed into a cr0wd of pedestrians in East Oakland have been released
OAKLAND, Calif. – Three pedestrians were killed and several others were hurt when a car rammed into them late Saturday night in East Oakland. What we know: The crash happened at about 11:15 p.m. in the area of International Boulevard and 85th Avenue. A witness said the incident began with a collision between a blue vehicle and […]
East Oakland Horror: Authorities have named the three victims k!lled when a car cr@shed into a cr0wd of people walking nearby
OAKLAND, Calif. – Three pedestrians were killed and several others were hurt when a car rammed into them late Saturday night in East Oakland. What we know: The crash happened at about 11:15 p.m. in the area of International Boulevard and 85th Avenue. A witness said the incident began with a collision between a blue vehicle and […]
Desperate Plea: Kouri Richins’ lover begged for one thing during her sentencing hearing, but everyone in the courtroom reportedly sh00k their heads
Kouri Richins prepares to speak at her sentencing Wednesday at 3rd District Court in Park City, Utah. Trent Nelson/Pool/The Salt Lake Tribune/AP Before a judge sentenced Kouri Richins for fatally poisoning her husband, the couple’s three young sons made their feelings clear. They urged Judge Richard Mrazik to sentence their mother – who two of […]
End of content
No more pages to load









