Zahir Davis was arrested on Friday night in connection with the killing of Jaden Pierre, 15, who was shot in broad daylight during a fight in South Jamaica.

The New York Police Department has struggled to address a recent rise in shootings involving teenagers, even as gun violence and other major crimes in the city have declined. Credit…Victor J. Blue for The New York Times
A man was arrested on Friday night and charged with the murder of a 15-year-old boy who was shot in broad daylight in a Queens park earlier this month.
The man, Zahir Davis, 18, was taken into custody just before 9:30 p.m. on Friday and charged with killing Jaden Pierre, a teenager who was beaten and shot during a fight in Roy Wilkins Park in South Jamaica on April 16.
Mr. Davis was arraigned on Saturday morning in Queens Criminal Court on charges of second-degree murder, gang assault and criminal possession of a weapon. If convicted, he faces up to 25 years to life in prison.
The police had been seeking Mr. Davis since last week, but he had fled New York City for the island nation of Jamaica just after the shooting, evading arrest, Police Commissioner Jessica Tisch said in a statement on Saturday.
Mr. Davis returned to New York City on Friday and was apprehended by Police Department detectives on the U.S. Marshals’ local fugitive task force shortly after landing at an airport, Ms. Tisch said.
His arrest was a new break in a case that has haunted South Jamaica — and the city — for nearly a week.
“This murder has shocked and outraged our city,” Melinda Katz, the Queens district attorney, said in a statement after the arraignment.
Jaden’s death has been a tension point in the city since videos of his killing, and the fight that preceded it, surfaced online. Video of the encounter, which was captured by at least two bystanders, shows several young people repeatedly punching Jaden near the park’s basketball courts as a large group of teenagers shouts with excitement.
In one video, a young man pulls out what looks to be a gun and points it at Jaden before a single pop rings out and Jaden crumples to the ground.
It remained unclear on Saturday what precisely had sparked the fight, but detectives on Tuesday had said that the episode began when more than 100 teenagers gathered in the park for a water gun fight.
Joseph Kenny, the department’s chief of detectives, said that the event had been publicized on social media and that detectives believe that Jaden co-hosted it. While its intent appeared to be harmless, he said, the event had drawn members of at least six different gangs.
Jaden, who was unarmed, had been feuding since January with one of the teenagers who beat him, detectives said.
It appeared that Mr. Davis, who was part of the fighting, had been trying to pistol whip Jaden, Chief Kenny said, but the gun discharged as he hit him, striking Jaden in the chest. Ms. Katz called the shooting unprovoked.
Based on internal intelligence, the police believe Mr. Davis is a member of the BG4 gang, an emerging group that has been operating for at least a year in southeast Queens.
On Saturday, Mr. Davis was also arraigned on harassment charges stemming from a separate episode just days before the fight, in which he is accused of threatening to shoot his ex-girlfriend, with whom he shares a child.
The videos of the attack on Jaden, and their swift dissemination online, have prompted concern from many lawmakers, who have not only condemned the violence but also questioned the callousness of those who filmed the interaction.
“Why was his life not worth putting the phone down?” Jumaane Williams, the city’s public advocate, asked at a vigil for Jaden on Monday evening, which drew hundreds of mourners and an array of elected officials.
Mayor Zohran Mamdani, who did not attend the vigil, said on Monday during a discussion hosted by WNYC that Jaden’s youth had added to the tragedy of the killing.
“We extend not only our condolences to the family, but, frankly, a necessity of recommitting ourselves to ending the scourge of gun violence in this city,” Mr. Mamdani said.
The killing comes as the Police Department has struggled to address a recent rise in shootings involving teenagers, even as gun violence and other major crimes in the city have declined. In 2025, 14 percent of all shooting victims in New York City, and 18 percent of perpetrators, were under the age of 18. Both statistics represent the highest share of youth shootings since the Police Department began tracking such data in 2018.
The department has rolled out a series of initiatives to address the rise, including deploying more school safety agents in and around schools and policing areas where teenagers are most at risk, like bus stops and commuter corridors. Since making the changes last September, the Police Department said that shootings involving young people have declined in those zones while officers have been deployed.
Still, a spate of recent killings involving teenagers this year has rattled the city.
On Friday, hours before Mr. Davis was arrested, a 16-year-old boy, Marquise Byfield, was fatally shot around 4 p.m. in East New York, Brooklyn, the police said.
On Saturday, the police said they had made no arrests in that case.
News
Familiar Spot: The four missing divers in the Maldives cave were found in a well-known location just 500 meters from shore, but the depth left everyone horrified
Spokesperson for Indian Ocean island nation says they will try to recover explorers in next couple of days Maldives marine police boats during a search operation in Vaavu Atoll on Saturday, Photograph: Sophia Nasif/EPA Rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days […]
B0dies Recovered: The four remaining missing divers from the Maldives diving accident have been found, and all of them shared one chilling detail
Five divers died in the Thursday, May 14 accident, with the first body found hours later Giorgia Sommacal; Monica Montefalcone; Gianluca Benedetti.Credit : Giorgia Sommacal/Instagram; University of Genoa; Fotogramma/ROPI via ZUMA Press The bodies of four Italian tourists who went missing while scuba diving in the Maldives last week have been found. Five divers went missing […]
Day Five Horror: The Maldives cave search has taken a darker turn after reports that the 30-meter depth limit was ignored
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Depth Limit Ignored: Chilling new details have emerged in the Maldives cave tragedy as the search enters day five after the 30-meter safety limit was reportedly passed
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Fatal Mistake: The five tourists who vanished under the Maldives cave system reportedly d!ed because of one simple action common among travelers
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
D3ath Cause Revealed: The cause of d3ath for five tourists missing inside a Maldives cave has been traced to one action almost every traveler has done before
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
End of content
No more pages to load









