NYPD Commissioner Jessica Tisch announced the arrest of 18-year-old Zahir Davis Saturday
New York City Police Department (NYPD) detectives arrested Zahir Davis, 18, Friday night after an urgent search for the suspect who gunned down a child at a Queens playground earlier this month, NYPD Commissioner Jessica Tisch announced in an X post Saturday.
Davis was charged with murder in the April 16 killing of 15-year-old Jaden Pierre, Tisch wrote.
Officials said Davis fled to Jamaica after Pierre was shot but returned to New York Friday, where he was immediately arrested by NYPD detectives assigned to the U.S. Marshals Regional Fugitive Task Force.

The NYPD released photos of a suspect in the murder of 15-year-old Jaden Pierre. (New York Police Department)
Authorities said Pierre was shot at 6:15 p.m. April 16 near Merrick and Baisley boulevards in Queens. The next day, the NYPD released photos of a suspect wanted in the killing.
Social media video of the incident showed a male repeatedly striking a young boy with his hands before opening fire toward the child. A crowd that had formed around the pair immediately dispersed after gunshots rang out.
New Yorkers, most notably former Mayor Eric Adams, harshly criticized Mayor Zohran Mamdani for failing to immediately respond to the shooting.
“A 15-year-old kid was beaten and shot to death at a Southeast Queens playground yesterday. And somehow this isn’t the top story,” Adams wrote in an April 17 post on X.
“Where is everyone else, including NYC Mayor Mamdani? Outrage shouldn’t depend on zip code. Every child deserves protection.”

Former New York City Mayor Eric Adams criticized Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s immediate reaction to the child’s death. (Roy Rochlin/Getty Images; Adam Gray/Bloomberg)
Mamdani held a closed-door meeting with community leaders to discuss the incident on April 20, he told reporters.
He later addressed the shooting publicly during an unrelated news conference Wednesday for Earth Day.
“I shared my thoughts on this the other evening, where I spoke about the fact that this was heartbreaking. It was heartbreaking, not just for what it means for his family and his friends, I know it was also heartbreaking for so many New Yorkers to watch this video and see others simply witness what unfolded as opposed to step[ping] up to address it,” Mamdani said.
“That is also our responsibility as a city government. I know that I have full confidence in the NYPD’s abilities to hold the individual responsible accountable.”

A woman and boy embrace near a makeshift memorial for 15-year-old Jaden Pierre, who was fatally shot, during a prayer vigil near the area of the fatal shooting at the Roy Wilkins Park in the Queens borough of New York City April 20, 2026. (Reuters/Shannon Stapleton)
Mamdani did not attend a vigil Monday organized for Pierre but said he was setting up a time to meet with Pierre’s family.
Fox News Digital contacted the NYPD and Mamdani’s office for comment but did not immediately receive a response.
News
Familiar Spot: The four missing divers in the Maldives cave were found in a well-known location just 500 meters from shore, but the depth left everyone horrified
Spokesperson for Indian Ocean island nation says they will try to recover explorers in next couple of days Maldives marine police boats during a search operation in Vaavu Atoll on Saturday, Photograph: Sophia Nasif/EPA Rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days […]
B0dies Recovered: The four remaining missing divers from the Maldives diving accident have been found, and all of them shared one chilling detail
Five divers died in the Thursday, May 14 accident, with the first body found hours later Giorgia Sommacal; Monica Montefalcone; Gianluca Benedetti.Credit : Giorgia Sommacal/Instagram; University of Genoa; Fotogramma/ROPI via ZUMA Press The bodies of four Italian tourists who went missing while scuba diving in the Maldives last week have been found. Five divers went missing […]
Day Five Horror: The Maldives cave search has taken a darker turn after reports that the 30-meter depth limit was ignored
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Depth Limit Ignored: Chilling new details have emerged in the Maldives cave tragedy as the search enters day five after the 30-meter safety limit was reportedly passed
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Fatal Mistake: The five tourists who vanished under the Maldives cave system reportedly d!ed because of one simple action common among travelers
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
D3ath Cause Revealed: The cause of d3ath for five tourists missing inside a Maldives cave has been traced to one action almost every traveler has done before
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
End of content
No more pages to load









