Bali: When a hostage video surfaced from Bali showing a mangled Ukrainian tourist begging for his ransom, it seemed so heinous, so violent, some on social media took it as a set-up or a fake.
Then his head turned up in an estuary.
Again, a foreign enterprise has sent operatives to Bali, Australia’s most popular overseas holiday destination, to carry out its dirty work.
Igor Komarov shortly before he was kidnapped, with his influencer girlfriend Yeva Mishalova. yeva_mishalova/Instagram.
Called in to search the area where the head was found in Ketewel, just north of Sanur, police found five other body parts and remnants of internal organs. Samples sent to Jakarta last month have been confirmed as belonging to the man in the video, 28-year-old Igor Komarov.
The three-minute recording is distressing viewing. According to widely circulating but unverified transcripts, he pleaded for his parents to pay back $US10 million ($14.3 million) that he said – under extraordinary duress – he or his family had stolen from unnamed people.
In obvious pain, he said the kidnappers were serious because they had already broken his legs and chopped off fingers.
“As far as Bali police are concerned, Igor was a foreign tourist,” said police spokesman Ariasandy, who goes by one name. “It is outside our jurisdiction to determine his background in his own country.”
Investigators have identified six people from undisclosed eastern European countries who they believe were responsible for Komarov’s kidnapping and death. All had fled Bali, and applications for Red Notices – requests to authorities worldwide to find and arrest people – have been made to Interpol. A European who rented the car used by the alleged criminals had been arrested, Ariasandy said, but police did not believe at this stage of the investigation that he knew about the plot.
The case has gripped the island, much like the killing of innocent Australian Zivan Radmanovic, who was shot inside a luxury villa during a botched shakedown attempt in June last year. The Australian men allegedly sent to Bali by an unnamed boss to threaten or bash Radmanovic’s friend, Sanar Ghanim, learned their fate in a Bali court on Monday.
Ariasandy said there were two hostage situations in Bali last year, one involving a South Asian man and the other a Russian. Both men were released after transferring cryptocurrency to their respective captors. He said the assailants were from the victims’ own countries.
A screenshot from the Igor Komarov hostage video. X.com
‘The good people come, but so do the bad’
Foreign gangs had not set up on the island, Ariasandy told this masthead. Rather, operatives had come to the holiday island on set missions targeting specific people from their own nations, taking advantage of the easy entry process and then blending in with the mass of tourists.
“After COVID, in an effort to revive Bali tourism, [the government] opened their doors as wide as possible – that’s when all sorts of people came,” he said.
“When you open your doors, the good people come, but so do the bad.
“If I wanted to go to Europe, they would check my bank account and all sorts of things, unlike when coming to Bali, where the requirements are limited. You can just come and visit.”
Komarov was in Bali with his influencer girlfriend and at least one other friend. They had a sense they were being followed, and changed their accommodation multiple times, Ariasandy said.
Some people speculated online that his girlfriend unwittingly gave away their locations through her Instagram posts. “It is possible, but we don’t know that,” Ariasandy said. “What is for sure is that he was being targeted.”
Komarov and the friend were snatched from their motorbikes about 10.30pm on February 15 in Jimbaran, just south of the airport, while riding with a Russian guide, who was not a suspect.
The threatened friend immediately called home and was released on the spot after organising a money transfer, Ariasandy said. Komarov, meanwhile, was taken to a villa in Tabanan, on the outskirts of the main tourist area.
“Because the [friend] was released, police can only assume at the moment that Igor’s ransom was not paid,” Ariasandy said.
In 2023, Bali Governor Wayan Koster unsuccessfully proposed that the national government revoke visa-on-arrival rights for Russian and Ukrainian visitors, who he said had been causing problems. The following year, police dismantled a Ukrainian-Russian drug ring. Just last week, two Russians were busted for allegedly operating a Bali drug lab.
Ariasandy said police representatives had been meeting with the consulates of several nations in Bali to ask them to be more proactive in warning authorities if known troublemakers were on their way.
News
Breaking: The first v!ctims in the Maldives underwater cave were found at a depth rescuers could barely believe
MALE, Maldives — International cave diving experts have arrived in the Maldives to take over the perilous recovery operation for four missing Italian tourists, a day after a local military rescue diver died attempting to reach them inside a treacherous underwater cave system. Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Vaavu […]
Breaking: The search for four Italians inside an underwater cave in the Maldives has been temporarily paused for a special reason
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka — Authorities in the Maldives have suspended the search for four Italian divers trapped deep inside an underwater cave following the death of a military rescue diver. The five Italians are believed to have died Thursday while exploring a cave system at a depth of about 160 feet (50 meters) in the […]
CCTV Clue: Footage from the time five Maldives tourists vanished has been released, and a mysterious sixth person appears in the frame
An elite squad of divers is in a race against time to recover the final bodies of the five Italians who died in Thursday’s tragic incident in the Maldives — hoping they can reach their remains before the sharks do. Only the body of the doomed group’s diving instructor has been found so far — […]
Oakland Tragedy: The identities of three people k!lled after a car pl0wed into a cr0wd of pedestrians in East Oakland have been released
OAKLAND, Calif. – Three pedestrians were killed and several others were hurt when a car rammed into them late Saturday night in East Oakland. What we know: The crash happened at about 11:15 p.m. in the area of International Boulevard and 85th Avenue. A witness said the incident began with a collision between a blue vehicle and […]
East Oakland Horror: Authorities have named the three victims k!lled when a car cr@shed into a cr0wd of people walking nearby
OAKLAND, Calif. – Three pedestrians were killed and several others were hurt when a car rammed into them late Saturday night in East Oakland. What we know: The crash happened at about 11:15 p.m. in the area of International Boulevard and 85th Avenue. A witness said the incident began with a collision between a blue vehicle and […]
Desperate Plea: Kouri Richins’ lover begged for one thing during her sentencing hearing, but everyone in the courtroom reportedly sh00k their heads
Kouri Richins prepares to speak at her sentencing Wednesday at 3rd District Court in Park City, Utah. Trent Nelson/Pool/The Salt Lake Tribune/AP Before a judge sentenced Kouri Richins for fatally poisoning her husband, the couple’s three young sons made their feelings clear. They urged Judge Richard Mrazik to sentence their mother – who two of […]
End of content
No more pages to load









