Georgia high school teacher Jason Hughes, 40, was killed by a vehicle outside his Gainesville home on Friday, March 6
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(872x576:874x578):format(webp)/Jason-Hughes-030826-01-bb26ff4b3aea4a55a8fa8bac990e451a.jpg)
Jason Hughes.Credit : Jason Hughes/Facebook
Jayden Ryden Wallace, the high school student charged in the death of his teacher in a prom season prank gone wrong, and his family are speaking out for the first time since the tragedy.
Wallace’s parents said in a statement released by the family’s attorney to CNN on Tuesday, March 10, that they feel “deep remorse” over the death of math teacher Jason Hughes, 40, who was allegedly fatally struck by the truck of 18-year-old Wallace outside his Gainesville home on Friday, March 6.
The teen, who faces three to 15 years in prison if convicted, also said in his own statement to CNN, per NBC affiliate WXIA-TV, “I pledge to live out the remainder of my life in a manner that honors the memory of Coach Hughes by exemplifying Christ. He will never be forgotten.”
“We are a family in deep remorse and grieving over such a tremendous loss in our North Hall community,” the teen’s parents said in a statement obtained by CNN, per WXIA-TV. “Jason Hughes meant the world to our son, Jayden. He took the time to invest in Jay and poured his love into him, making a lasting impact.”
“Along with the rest of our family, Jay expresses his deepest sorrow and sincerest apology to the Hughes family,” his parents concluded of Hughes, who was a father of two young boys.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(607x548:609x550):format(webp)/jayden-ryan-wallace-031126-9cc504095b0f4e4a93bf0465f903ac2b.jpg)
Jayden Ryden Wallace.Hall County Sheriff’s Office
Hughes, a teacher and golf coach at North Hall High School in Gainesville, Ga., died after he “tripped and fell into the road and was run over” by the truck of an 18-year-old, who was pulling a toilet papering prank along with four other teenagers, according to the Hall County Sheriff’s Office.
Wallace was charged with first-degree vehicular homicide, a felony, reckless driving and a misdemeanor. The four other teens — Elijah Owens, Aiden Hucks, Ana Luque and Ariana Cruz, all 18 — were charged with misdemeanor counts of criminal trespassing and littering.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(947x556:949x558):format(webp)/Jason-Hughes-030826-02-a3c8166ccbb64e4baff3c1c8b21bebc5.jpg)
Jason Hughes (right) with his wife Laura Hughes (left) and their two sons.gofundme
The statements from Wallace and his family come after Hughes’ family called for the charges against him and the other teens to be dropped.
The family said in a statement, per the Daily Mail, “There was no ‘confrontation.’ Jason knew the students were coming and he was excited and waiting to ‘catch them’ in the act. It had been raining and he accidentally slipped and fell into the road in front of the vehicle as they were driving away and was hit. The students immediately tried to provide aid until paramedics arrived.”
“Jason loved these students and they loved him too. Our family fully supports getting the charges dropped for all involved. This is a terrible tragedy, and our family is determined to prevent a separate tragedy from occurring, ruining the lives of these students,” the statement continued.
“This would be counter to Jason’s lifelong dedication of investing in the lives of these children. Our family is determined to prevent a separate tragedy from occurring, ruining the lives of these students,” it added.
Matt Williams, a friend of Hughes, also told ABC News that Hughes and Wallace were close. “The family wants to make clear that they knew these kids and they loved them and these kids loved the Hughes’s,” Williams said. “This was not a malicious act.”
News
“Mom, h3lp me, please,” one of the missing Maldives cave vict!ms b3gged during his last phone call with his mother
MALE, Maldives — The search for four Italian divers missing deep inside a Maldivian underwater cave system was suspended Saturday following the death of a military rescue diver. Mohamed Mahdi, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died from decompression sickness during the treacherous recovery mission, according to presidential spokesman Mohamed Hussain Shareef. Monica […]
Fatal Dive: A diver searching for five Italian passengers in the Maldives cave system l0st his life, and officials have now named him
Tour operator denies authorizing the descent, says divers appeared to be using standard recreational equipment A perilous search for the bodies of four Italian divers missing deep inside a Maldivian cave was halted Saturday after a military diver died during the mission. Mohamed Mahdi, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died from decompression […]
D3adly Search: The diver who d!ed while looking for five Italian passengers inside a Maldives underwater cave system has now been identified
Tour operator denies authorizing the descent, says divers appeared to be using standard recreational equipment A perilous search for the bodies of four Italian divers missing deep inside a Maldivian cave was halted Saturday after a military diver died during the mission. Mohamed Mahdi, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died from decompression […]
Breaking: The first v!ctims in the Maldives underwater cave were found at a depth rescuers could barely believe
MALE, Maldives — International cave diving experts have arrived in the Maldives to take over the perilous recovery operation for four missing Italian tourists, a day after a local military rescue diver died attempting to reach them inside a treacherous underwater cave system. Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Vaavu […]
Breaking: The search for four Italians inside an underwater cave in the Maldives has been temporarily paused for a special reason
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka — Authorities in the Maldives have suspended the search for four Italian divers trapped deep inside an underwater cave following the death of a military rescue diver. The five Italians are believed to have died Thursday while exploring a cave system at a depth of about 160 feet (50 meters) in the […]
CCTV Clue: Footage from the time five Maldives tourists vanished has been released, and a mysterious sixth person appears in the frame
An elite squad of divers is in a race against time to recover the final bodies of the five Italians who died in Thursday’s tragic incident in the Maldives — hoping they can reach their remains before the sharks do. Only the body of the doomed group’s diving instructor has been found so far — […]
End of content
No more pages to load








