COLOMBO, Sri Lanka — Authorities in the Maldives have suspended the search for four Italian divers trapped deep inside an underwater cave following the death of a military rescue diver.
The five Italians are believed to have died Thursday while exploring a cave system at a depth of about 160 feet (50 meters) in the Vaavu Atoll—well beyond the country’s legal recreational diving limit of 98 feet (30 meters). The body of one group member, diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti, was recovered near the cave’s entrance that same day, leading authorities to conclude the others swam deeper inside.
The search was officially halted after Maldives National Defense Force diver Mohamed Mahudhee died from decompression sickness shortly after being rushed to a hospital in the capital, according to presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef. Mahudhee was buried with military honors late Saturday, with President Mohamed Muizzu in attendance.
The Maldives government identified the missing victims as Monica Montefalcone, an associate professor of ecology at the University of Genoa; her daughter, student Giorgia Sommacal; marine biologist Federico Gualtieri; and researcher Muriel Oddenino.
While the group was in the Maldives on a coral sampling research trip, authorities described the fatal dive as a “private spontaneous activity.” The tour operator stated they were unaware of the group’s intent to dive to such extreme depths. Despite their overall diving experience, the victims were reportedly using standard recreational equipment rather than the specialized gear required for deep cave diving.
Italy’s Foreign Ministry described the cave as a labyrinth comprising three large chambers connected by extremely narrow passages. The extreme depth, complex layout, poor visibility, and severe weather have made recovery efforts exceptionally treacherous. Rescue teams had only managed to search two of the three chambers before retreating due to oxygen constraints and the risk of decompression sickness.
Search strategies are now being reevaluated. Three Finnish deep-sea and cave diving experts arrived in the Maldives on Sunday and are working with the coast guard to formulate a new approach to recover the bodies.
News
CCTV Clue: Footage from the time five Maldives tourists vanished has been released, and a mysterious sixth person appears in the frame
An elite squad of divers is in a race against time to recover the final bodies of the five Italians who died in Thursday’s tragic incident in the Maldives — hoping they can reach their remains before the sharks do. Only the body of the doomed group’s diving instructor has been found so far — […]
Oakland Tragedy: The identities of three people k!lled after a car pl0wed into a cr0wd of pedestrians in East Oakland have been released
OAKLAND, Calif. – Three pedestrians were killed and several others were hurt when a car rammed into them late Saturday night in East Oakland. What we know: The crash happened at about 11:15 p.m. in the area of International Boulevard and 85th Avenue. A witness said the incident began with a collision between a blue vehicle and […]
East Oakland Horror: Authorities have named the three victims k!lled when a car cr@shed into a cr0wd of people walking nearby
OAKLAND, Calif. – Three pedestrians were killed and several others were hurt when a car rammed into them late Saturday night in East Oakland. What we know: The crash happened at about 11:15 p.m. in the area of International Boulevard and 85th Avenue. A witness said the incident began with a collision between a blue vehicle and […]
Desperate Plea: Kouri Richins’ lover begged for one thing during her sentencing hearing, but everyone in the courtroom reportedly sh00k their heads
Kouri Richins prepares to speak at her sentencing Wednesday at 3rd District Court in Park City, Utah. Trent Nelson/Pool/The Salt Lake Tribune/AP Before a judge sentenced Kouri Richins for fatally poisoning her husband, the couple’s three young sons made their feelings clear. They urged Judge Richard Mrazik to sentence their mother – who two of […]
The family of the University of Washington student could no longer stay silent, bringing the final 10-minute audio of their child into the suspect’s trial
SEATTLE – The man suspected of fatally stabbing a University of Washington student may have been involved in a 2013 lawsuit against a Seattle private school over allegations of bullying. Seattle police said Christopher Leahy, 31, turned himself in to Bellevue police at about 10:20 p.m. Wednesday. He was interviewed by homicide detectives before being […]
First Court Appearance: The suspect in the University of Washington student case appeared before a judge for the first time as his lawyer revealed evidence claiming he is innocent
SEATTLE – The man suspected of fatally stabbing a University of Washington student may have been involved in a 2013 lawsuit against a Seattle private school over allegations of bullying. Seattle police said Christopher Leahy, 31, turned himself in to Bellevue police at about 10:20 p.m. Wednesday. He was interviewed by homicide detectives before being […]
End of content
No more pages to load






