Gordon Abas Goodarzi arrested after weekslong investigation into death of Aryan Papoli, who had filed for divorce
After weeks of investigation, authorities have arrested the estranged husband of a Newport Beach woman whose body was found down a steep embankment in a San Bernardino County mountain town in California.
Gordon Abas Goodarzi, 66, of Rolling Hills Estates, was arrested Friday on suspicion of murder in the death of his longtime wife and business partner, Aryan Papoli, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department.
Papoli, 58, was found dead Nov. 18 about 75 feet below Highway 138 near Crestline Road in the mountain community of Crestline. While early findings noted injuries consistent with a fall, the San Bernardino County Coroner later ruled her death a homicide.
Sheriff’s officials have not disclosed how detectives linked Goodarzi to Papoli’s death or whether a motive has been identified, saying only that an “extensive and persistent investigation into the circumstances” led them to identify him as a suspect. Goodarzi is being held without bail at the Central Detention Center.

Aryan Papoli’s husband was arrested on suspicion of murder in her death. (Aryan Papoli)
Court records show Papoli filed for divorce just five months before her death, citing “irreconcilable differences,” according to documents obtained by The California Post. The June 12, 2025 filing sought spousal support and the division of millions of dollars in shared assets.
More than $4.5 million in property was at stake, the outlet reported, including the Rolling Hills Estates home where Goodarzi was arrested, a residence in Chino Hills, industrial property in Massachusetts, vacant land in Southern California and another property in Crestline, the same town where Papoli’s body was later found.
Papoli and Goodarzi were married for 28 years. Goodarzi, an engineer and tech executive, sold his clean energy company, US Hybrid, for $50 million in 2021, according to The California Post. Papoli’s divorce filing requested Goodarzi pay her legal fees, while his response asked the court to have each party cover their own costs.

Aryan Papoli is shown in an undated photo. Her estranged husband was charged with murder after Papoli’s body was found at the bottom of a cliff, authorities said. (Aryan Papoli)
The divorce proceedings were terminated Dec. 23 due to Papoli’s death, according to her attorney.
Charging documents filed by the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office allege Papoli was “particularly vulnerable” and that the killing involved “planning, sophistication, and professionalism,” according to the filing.
Goodarzi’s arraignment, which was scheduled for Tuesday morning, was continued to Thursday, the DA’s office confirmed.
Papoli was not immediately identified when her body was discovered. Days later, Newport Beach police confirmed a missing person report had been filed for her, and authorities formally identified her remains Dec. 1.

Aryan Papoli is shown in an undated photo. Authorities said her body was found at the bottom of a cliff, and her estranged husband has been charged in her death. (Aryan Papoli)
In an interview with the Los Angeles Times last month, Papoli’s son, Navid Goodarzi, said his mother immigrated to the United States from Iran as a young woman and worked to build a life centered on creativity, service and entrepreneurship.
“My mom was a ray of light, sunshine manifested,” he said. “She always gave 150% to herself and to everyone.”
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
He declined to comment on his parents’ relationship but said they worked together for years and founded a clean energy company.
News
THE FINAL 3-MINUTE 911 CALL Of The 5 Divers Included A Chilling 5-Word Message That Could Change The Entire Investigation Forever
The mystery surrounding the deaths of the five Italian divers in the Maldives has taken an even darker turn after investigators reportedly uncovered details about a chilling emergency call made moments before the group vanished underwater forever. According to leaked information now spreading rapidly online, one of the divers allegedly managed to place a desperate […]
BEFORE THE 5 DIVERS DIED, One Of Them Made A 3-Minute 911 Call Repeating 5 Words That Could Expose A Horrific Murder Case
The mystery surrounding the deaths of the five Italian divers in the Maldives has taken an even darker turn after investigators reportedly uncovered details about a chilling emergency call made moments before the group vanished underwater forever. According to leaked information now spreading rapidly online, one of the divers allegedly managed to place a desperate […]
INVESTIGATORS FOUND A WATCH With Footage Showing The Final Moments Of The 5 Italian Divers Inside The Maldives Cave
The investigation into the catastrophic Maldives cave diving disaster has taken a shocking new turn after authorities reportedly recovered a wristwatch equipped with a miniature recording device — one that allegedly captured the final 33 minutes leading up to the deaths of the five Italian divers trapped deep inside the underwater cave system. The revelation […]
POLICE DISCOVER A RECORDING WATCH Capturing The Final 33 Minutes Before The 5 Italian Divers Died Inside The Maldives Cave
The investigation into the catastrophic Maldives cave diving disaster has taken a shocking new turn after authorities reportedly recovered a wristwatch equipped with a miniature recording device — one that allegedly captured the final 33 minutes leading up to the deaths of the five Italian divers trapped deep inside the underwater cave system. The revelation […]
SHOCKING TWIST: Autopsy Results Reveal Five Italians Who Died in a Maldives Underwater Cave Had Been Poisoned First
What began as a mysterious underwater tragedy in the Maldives has now escalated into an international criminal investigation after forensic experts confirmed a horrifying discovery: the five Italian victims found dead inside a submerged cave system had allegedly been poisoned before entering the water. The shocking revelation was announced late Friday night after medical examiners […]
BREAKING: Forensic Experts Confirm Five Italians Found Dead in a Maldives Underwater Cave Were POISONED Before Entering the Water
What began as a mysterious underwater tragedy in the Maldives has now escalated into an international criminal investigation after forensic experts confirmed a horrifying discovery: the five Italian victims found dead inside a submerged cave system had allegedly been poisoned before entering the water. The shocking revelation was announced late Friday night after medical examiners […]
End of content
No more pages to load












