Image source,Reuters
Image caption,
A team of specialist Finnish divers were able to retrieve the two bodies on Tuesday
ByAnbarasan EthirajanGlobal Affairs Correspondent and Sarah RainsfordIn Rome
The bodies of two Italians who drowned in a scuba diving accident in the Maldives last week have been brought to the surface, local officials have told the BBC.
“They were retrieved from the third chamber of the underwater cave by the specialist divers from Finland after a two-hour operation,” Mohamed Hossain Shareef, a Maldivian government spokesperson told the BBC.
The two bodies were being brought to the capital Male for identification.
They were among five people who died in the accident. Two bodies remain inside.
The first body of an Italian diver, who was a member of the group, was recovered shortly after Thursday’s accident near Vaavu atoll. He has been named by Italian media as boat operations manager and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti.
Then on Saturday a Maldivian rescue diver died during a search for the bodies.
The four missing divers were eventually found by Finnish divers on Monday in the chamber of the cave furthest from the entrance. Known locally as “shark cave”, it is up to 60m (197 ft) deep.
The mission to recover the remaining two bodies will resume on Wednesday and a Maldivian official was hopeful they would be retrieved the same day.
It is hoped that discovering the bodies will provide clues as to the cause of the accident. The recovery operation has been described as complex because of the depth of the cave and the lack of space and visibility. The entrance to the cave lies at a depth of 47m but the various chambers are at varying depths.
The Finnish divers were working with local police and coastguard, and officials said that while the specialist team had brought the two bodies to a depth of 30m, the coastguard divers had taken over the operation from that point.
The weather at the time of the dive on Thursday was described as rough and a yellow warning had been issued for passenger boats and fishermen.
Four of the divers were affiliated with the University of Genoa, which told the BBC that it did not give approval for any kind of deep-sea dive as part of their scientific research.
“The requests submitted to the Maldivian authorities… were evidently made outside the scope of the mission authorised by the university,” a spokesperson said. The dive was carried out “in a personal capacity”, the spokesperson added, and not part of the research.
The university has said that it had suspended authorisation for any dives for scientific purposes – regardless of their depth – in March 2024, in accordance with a ministerial decree from that month giving guidelines for underwater dives.
The statement said the university is currently developing an internal protocol to govern its procedures, in compliance with those regulations.
Image source,Instagram/University of Genoa/Albatros Top Boat
Image caption,
Among the five who died were Giorgia Sommacal (L), her mother Monica Montefalcone (C) and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti
A Maldivian government spokesperson told the BBC that the team had a permit to dive to a depth of 50m but had not mentioned the cave in their proposal.
The team was led by Monica Montefalcone, who was associate professor of ecology at Genoa University, along with research fellow Muriel Oddenino, who were looking at the effects of climate change on tropical biodiversity.
The other two divers in the cave were Montefalcone’s daughter Giorgia Sommacal, a student at Genoa, and recent graduate Federico Gualtieri.
Sommacal’s father Carlo has been highly critical of the university’s statement that the cave dive led by his wife was unauthorised.
“Monica [Montefalcone], according to many, is the person who has the most scientific literature on those corals in the world,” he told La Repubblica newspaper. “There are hundreds of graduate students writing theses on the Maldives using the data they gather together with Monica, or that Monica gathered. And no one knew anything? It makes me laugh.”
News
Aut0psy Secret: The final two b0dies found in the Maldives five-diver tragedy have revealed a hidden detail
Image source,Reuters Image caption, A team of specialist Finnish divers were able to retrieve the two bodies on Tuesday ByAnbarasan Ethirajan, Global Affairs Correspondent and Sarah Rainsford, In Rome The bodies of two Italians who drowned in a scuba diving accident in the Maldives last week have been brought to the surface, local officials have told the BBC. “They […]
New Theory: A sh0cking explanation for why five divers drowned inside the cave has now been revealed
Investigators are working on a new explanation for the incident in which five ecological researchers met a watery end. MOHAMED AFRAH/AFP via Getty Images Investigators in the Maldives are beginning to develop a theory for the tragic incident that saw five Italian researchers die during a dive into a deepwater cave earlier this month. Authorities […]
Not A Simple D3ath: The husband of one of the five Maldives victims says his wife’s d3ath was not just a tragic accident
A grieving Italian scientist who lost both his wife and a daughter in the Maldives diving tragedy insisted Friday that something wildly unexpected must have happened because his wife was too experienced a diver to have taken risks. Carlo Sommacal raised his concerns after his wife, Monica Montefalcone, 52, and their 20-year-old daughter, Giorgia Sommacal, […]
Love Letter: The fiancé of the female diver missing in the Maldives cave wrote an emotional letter after she was found
The fiancé of one of the five Italian divers who died in an underwater cave in the Maldives declared his everlasting love for her in a heartbreaking note read at a memorial service. Bartender Federico Colombo, 26, gushed over Giorgia Sommacal, 22, who died alongside her mom, Monica Montefalcone, when they got trapped in a […]
“Maybe they didn’t d!e from going too deep…” — new information has exposed a possible real reason five Maldives divers never m@de it back
MALE, Maldives — The bodies of four Italian divers who vanished during a deep-water excursion in the Maldives have been found trapped inside an underwater “shark cave,” days after their disappearance. The grim discovery brings a tragic end to a treacherous search operation in the Vaavu Atoll that previously claimed the life of a Maldivian […]
“They may not have d!ed from diving too deep, but because of…” — new details are now revealing the real reason behind the d3aths of five missing divers in the Maldives
MALE, Maldives — The bodies of four Italian divers who vanished during a deep-water excursion in the Maldives have been found trapped inside an underwater “shark cave,” days after their disappearance. The grim discovery brings a tragic end to a treacherous search operation in the Vaavu Atoll that previously claimed the life of a Maldivian […]
End of content
No more pages to load








