Getty Images
A snow and ice warning remains in place for much of the country into Wednesday
Hundreds of schools across the country will remain closed for a third day as snow continues to grip the north east of Scotland.
Yellow warnings for snow and ice will continue in the north throughout Wednesday, with ice alerts extending to almost all of Scotland.
Aberdeenshire Council declared a “major incident” on Tuesday after days of weather warnings brought widespread disruption.
Schools in Aberdeenshire, Moray and Aberdeen will be shut on Wednesday, while about 130 in the Highlands – where it is the first day of the new term – will be closed or open later.

There was heavy overnight snowfall in Aberdeen
Those affected include schools in Easter Ross, Sutherland and Skye.
But improving conditions in some areas mean schools in the Western Isles and Shetland as well as some in Orkney will reopen.
Around 350 schools across Scotland were impacted on Tuesday.
Igloos and snow rollers: Scotland makes the most of cold snap
Fresh snow and ice warnings as Storm Goretti approaches UK
The Scottish Government’s Resilience Room has held another meeting, with ministers hearing from police, local authorities, utilities companies and other bodies on the response to the severe weather.
Justice Secretary Angela Constance, who chaired the meeting, said afterwards that “difficult conditions” were expected to remain this week, and she urged people to follow advice on staying safe.
“Warnings for ice across much of the country are in place overnight into tomorrow so it is vital that people plan ahead to help protect the resilience and safety of the transport network,” she said.
She added that “good progress” had been made to restore transport services and all trunk roads were fully functioning.
Getty Images
Schools across the north east, including Botriphine Primary, will be closed on Wednesday
Milder temperatures are expected on Wednesday with wintry showers expected in the north, falling as rain or sleet near the coasts.
Further south, it will be dry with spells of sunshine despite a chill in the air.
The weather alert will remain in place until midnight for the north and north east, but will expire at 10:00 for the rest of the country.
Forecasters advise that icy conditions, especially on untreated roads, could cause minor disruption on Wednesday morning.
More weather warnings for snow have been issued for the south of England on Thursday and Friday as Storm Goretti, the first named storm of the year, arrives but Scotland looks set to avoid the brunt of that.
Getty Images
Snowploughs have been deployed across Aberdeenshire including in Alford
Some places in the northern Scotland have now had fresh snowfall every day since the start of the new year.
Aberdeenshire Council’s decision to declare a major incident means it can redeploy staff to try to get on top of the challenge.
Chief executive Jim Savege said: “The declaration of the incident is mainly an internal mechanism for the council that allows me to divert more staff and resources towards priority activity than we’ve been doing already.”
He said it would also help with requests for mutual aid from other councils.
“So we’ve got more staff deployed for example to work on road clearance and footway clearance and we’ve got additional kit coming in from other local authorities as well.”
The co- leader of Aberdeen City Council, Ian Yuill, told BBC Scotland News it had been the most intense and sustained period of snow he could remember in more than 50 years.
He said the authority had 15 snowploughs out on the roads, 14 pavement ploughs – and had hired in another 24 diggers to clear the snow.
He said: “The big challenge this time is it has continued to snow – so every time it snows both the pavement ploughs and the road ploughs have to go back out again to re-treat and re-plough the priority roads and pavements in the city.”
Travel disruption continues
Network Rail
Snow ploughs were used to clear the railway lines on some routes
Highland Council Buses say that due to the ongoing weather and road conditions, all services are currently suspended until further notice.
Snow gates were closed overnight on the A93 Braemar to Glenshee and on the B974 at Cairn O’Mount and the A939 at Cock Bridge, with Police Scotland urging drivers to avoid these areas.
Network Rail said it had been able to clear the Aberdeen-Inverness line by Tuesday evening, despite its teams encountering some “appalling conditions” around Insch.
A large snow plough would continue working to clear the Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh line where drifts were up to 1.2m deep in places, it said.
The train operator LNER, which runs the east coast mainline, has extended its advice to passengers not to travel between Edinburgh and Aberdeen as they “cannot guarantee” trains will operate until Friday at the earliest.
A spokeswoman for the AA said its teams had attended almost 13,000 breakdowns across the UK by 16:00 on Tuesday while the RAC said drivers in the worst-hit areas “need to be considering whether it’s safe to get behind the wheel”.
Police Scotland said the impact of the snow is still likely to be felt over the next few days in the north and north-east of Scotland, and urged people to check up on those who might be vulnerable.
Assistant chief constable Alan Waddell said: “Local resilience partnerships are continuing to meet to co-ordinate and deliver the response to disruption experienced by communities in the north and north-east of Scotland following heavy snowfall over the weekend.
“Some services may be impacted by adverse weather and I would encourage the public to check on neighbours or relatives, if they are able to do so safely.”
News
Critical Equipment: Rescue teams say the victims in the Maldives dive accident lacked one specialized item needed for cave diving
Fatal cave descent: Five Italian divers died in a 60-metre Maldivian cave, exceeding legal recreational depth limits amid rough seas. Gear concerns raised: A rescuer said the victims lacked proper cave-diving gear, including safety lines, and used only standard recreational equipment. Criminal probe launched: Italian authorities seized victims’ devices as part of a manslaughter investigation, while Maldivian regulators […]
Rescue Detail: Officials say the Maldives diving victims were missing one special piece of cave-diving equipment that may have changed everything
Fatal cave descent: Five Italian divers died in a 60-metre Maldivian cave, exceeding legal recreational depth limits amid rough seas. Gear concerns raised: A rescuer said the victims lacked proper cave-diving gear, including safety lines, and used only standard recreational equipment. Criminal probe launched: Italian authorities seized victims’ devices as part of a manslaughter investigation, while Maldivian regulators […]
Sister Speaks: Dominic Russo’s sister broke down in tears and delivered a chilling statement after the Mackenzie Shirilla documentary was released
Mackenzie Shirilla was sentenced to 15 years to life behind bars for the deadly crash, which killed Dominic Russo and Davion Flanagan on July 31, 2022. STRONGSVILLE, Ohio — “The Crash” has been the No. 1 movie streaming on Netflix for several days since it was released Friday, capturing widespread attention nearly four years after […]
New Images: The latest photos from the deadly Maldives cave are now revealing the unusual detail that caused five Italian divers to get stuck
The first pictures of the underwater cave where five Italian divers died have been made public as four of their bodies were repatriated to Milan Saturday for Italian prosecutors to advance their manslaughter investigation. The photos were taken by one of the elite Finnish divers called in to recover the remaining victims, after the Maldives National Defense Forces’ search killed one of […]
Pr!son Claim: An inm@te says Mackenzie Shirilla was known as a “b@d girl” behind b@rs and allegedly had multiple sh0cking l0vers in ja!l
“Hell on wheels” killer Mackenzie Shirilla is nothing like the remorseful, hardened prison inmate depicted in the hit Netflix doc, a former inmate said. “When she walked out in the documentary, my jaw literally dropped, because her demeanor and the way that she looked was nothing like the person I was in there with,” Mary […]
New Details: The Maldives diving tr@gedy has taken a darker turn after officials revealed what k!lled five tourists
The diving accident is believed to be the worst in the history of the Maldives. A member of the diving team that recovered the bodies of the five Italian scuba divers who drowned in the Maldives said their equipment “was not optimal.” Four of the divers’ bodies were found together in a cave 164 feet […]
End of content
No more pages to load







