Rohan Dennis addressed the 2023 incident in a candid Instagram post
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x0:751x2):format(webp)/melissa-hoskins-rohan-dennis-010224-1-5822f99c41384769b30d17e569c1426a.jpg)
Melissa Hoskins and Rohan Dennis.Credit : Melissa Hoskins Instagram
Australian Olympic cyclist Rohan Dennis is hitting back at the criticism he’s received following the 2023 death of his wife, Melissa Hoskins.
Dennis, 35, received a 17-month suspended sentence after his wife, fellow Olympic cyclist Hoskins, with whom he shared two young children, was struck and killed by his car during an argument in December 2023.
In an Instagram post shared on Monday, April 6, Dennis addressed the incident, maintaining that it was an accident while claiming that the media had spread a “false narrative” about him.
“This is simply to point out the false narrative which the media created about me for clicks,” began Dennis. “Yes it was an accident. I loved Melissa and the last thing I ever wanted was to hurt her. Never in my life has any physical aggression crossed my mind in any disagreement with Melissa.”
“The narrative which the media ran with was clear they wanted me to look like the husband who abused his wife,” he continued. “I have ALWAYS been against any sort of abuse against women and especially the one who gave birth to my children.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x0:751x2):format(webp)/Rohan-Dennis-instagram-post-split-040726-fa0cb912b87a4c25a05337e636184b30.jpg)
Rohan Dennis spoke out about criticism over his wife’s death on Instagram, on April 6.RvS.Media/Basile Barbey/Getty; Rohan Dennis/Instagram
Hoskins died after jumping on the hood of Dennis’ car as he attempted to drive away, the BBC, the Associated Press and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) previously reported.
Dennis pleaded guilty to one aggravated count of creating the likelihood of harm and was sentenced to one year, four months and 28 days in jail, which was suspended for two years. He’s currently out on a good-behavior bond. He was not held criminally responsible for his wife’s death.
In his post, Dennis alleged that following his wife’s death “so-called journalists” continue to “follow and harass” his family.
“They greeted me and my family at the airport not 24 [hours] after my wife’s funeral,” he claimed. “The things … that were said to me in front of my 2 year old daughter are disgusting! Things such as: How does it feel knowing you killed the mother of your two children, and they’ll never see their mother again?! Are you a murderer?!…This is just one of MANY encounters.”
“…Then there is the clear twisting of any words I use. They know I never intentionally or unintentionally used a vehicle as a weapon,” Dennis continued. “Never was it legally said that I did either. The video footage of the accident also proves this statement.
“Time for all you so called journalists and media outlets to back off and leave my family alone,” he concluded.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x245:751x247):format(webp)/Rohan-Dennis-cyclist-010124-tout-15385988353a4da5907afcd9ab7b7b67.jpg)
Rohan Dennis and his late wife, Melissa Hoskins.Rohan Dennis/Instagram
Dennis’ comments follow controversy stemming from a March Instagram post in which he shared photos of a bike and his Porsche, writing “an absolute weapon.”
The following day, Dennis poked fun at the controversy, posting a photo of his two children riding bikes with the caption, “Two absolute weapons ❤️.” He also posted a surveillance video of reporters from 7NEWS Adelaide asking him about the “weapon” caption.
News
Familiar Spot: The four missing divers in the Maldives cave were found in a well-known location just 500 meters from shore, but the depth left everyone horrified
Spokesperson for Indian Ocean island nation says they will try to recover explorers in next couple of days Maldives marine police boats during a search operation in Vaavu Atoll on Saturday, Photograph: Sophia Nasif/EPA Rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days […]
B0dies Recovered: The four remaining missing divers from the Maldives diving accident have been found, and all of them shared one chilling detail
Five divers died in the Thursday, May 14 accident, with the first body found hours later Giorgia Sommacal; Monica Montefalcone; Gianluca Benedetti.Credit : Giorgia Sommacal/Instagram; University of Genoa; Fotogramma/ROPI via ZUMA Press The bodies of four Italian tourists who went missing while scuba diving in the Maldives last week have been found. Five divers went missing […]
Day Five Horror: The Maldives cave search has taken a darker turn after reports that the 30-meter depth limit was ignored
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Depth Limit Ignored: Chilling new details have emerged in the Maldives cave tragedy as the search enters day five after the 30-meter safety limit was reportedly passed
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Fatal Mistake: The five tourists who vanished under the Maldives cave system reportedly d!ed because of one simple action common among travelers
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
D3ath Cause Revealed: The cause of d3ath for five tourists missing inside a Maldives cave has been traced to one action almost every traveler has done before
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
End of content
No more pages to load









