“She was almost home,” said the husband of U.S. Sgt. 1st Class Nicole M. Amor, who died on March 1
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x0:751x2):format(webp)/Nicole-Amor-030426-bf5e9a841b584ceeb21da1640aece10e.jpg)
The husband of U.S. Sgt. 1st Class Nicole M. Amor, a 39-year-old Army Reserve soldier and mother of two who was killed in the Iran War earlier this week, remembered communicating with his wife just two hours before her death.
In an interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday, March 4, Joey Amor, Nicole’s spouse, recalled that she had been working long shifts and had tripped and fallen the previous night.
“She just never responded in the morning,” Joey told AP.
Nicole Amor was one of four of the six U.S. service members killed in a drone strike on Sunday, March 1, during the war with Iran, the Pentagon said. The others were Capt. Cody A. Khork, 35, Sgt. 1st Class Noah L. Tietjens, 42, and Sgt. Declan J. Coady, 20. The identities of the additional two fallen service members have yet been confirmed.
They died in Port Shuaiba, Kuwait, during an “unmanned aircraft system attack,” officials wrote, noting that the incident remains under investigation.
Nicole hailed from White Bear Lake, Minn., the Pentagon said. Joey Amor told AP that his wife had been just days away from returning home before the incident.
“She was almost home,” Joey said. “You don’t go to Kuwait thinking something’s going to happen, and for her to be one of the first — it hurts.”
Derek Hoff, Nicole’s brother, told The New York Times that his sister had spent 20 years in the military, and that her recent deployment in Kuwait was probably going to be her final one.
“She knew what she signed up for, and she did it because she had a job and a duty,” Hoff said.
Hoff noted that his sister’s 18-year-old son was graduating high school, and she also didn’t want to lose more time with her 9-year-old daughter.
“She just missed them,” Hoff told the newspaper of Nicole, who joined the National Guard in 2005, then went to the Army Reserve the following year. “It was a yearning for her kids.”
Joey Amor said that his wife transferred off-base to a building that had no defenses, telling AP that U.S. forces were worried the base could be attacked and believed it was safer to be in smaller groups and in different places.
Nicole was remembered by family as an avid gardener who made salsa from peppers and tomatoes in her garden with her son, AP reported. She also spent time bicycling and rollerblading with her daughter.
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota offered condolences to Nicole’s family following the news of her death.
“John and I join with people across our state and our country in mourning Sgt. First Class Nicole Amor of White Bear Lake,” Klobuchar said in a statement issued on Tuesday, March 3. “Our hearts are with her family, loved ones, and all those in our armed forces. Sgt. Amor made the ultimate sacrifice serving our nation, and we are forever indebted to her.”
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz also paid respects to Nicole in an X post on Tuesday, writing, “Minnesota is mourning the loss of Sergeant First Class Nicole M. Amor of White Bear Lake who was killed in Kuwait on Sunday.”
“She answered the call to serve and gave her life in service to our state and nation,” he continued. “Minnesotans are wrapping our arms around her loved ones.”
News
The Maldives diving tragedy is rapidly sparking a fierce controversy over depth limits. However, what’s truly baffling investigators is a chilling detail: all four recovered oxygen tanks still had pressure inside…
The Maldives diving incident is turning from a tragedy into a major controversy over depth limits. But what is drawing intense attention now is the revelation that four recovered oxygen tanks still had significant pressure inside when examined — a detail that continues to puzzle investigators and fuel speculation about what overwhelmed five experienced Italian […]
Controversy surrounding the diving accident in the Maldives: The mystery of the still-full oxygen tanks
The Maldives diving incident is turning from a tragedy into a major controversy over depth limits. But what is drawing intense attention now is the revelation that four recovered oxygen tanks still had significant pressure inside when examined — a detail that continues to puzzle investigators and fuel speculation about what overwhelmed five experienced Italian […]
The diving accident in the Maldives is turning into a heated debate about safe depth limits. The detail that has shocked the public and raised the most questions is that all four air tanks recovered from the victims… still had their internal pressure intact. What really happened?
The Maldives diving incident is turning from a tragedy into a major controversy over depth limits. But what is drawing intense attention now is the revelation that four recovered oxygen tanks still had significant pressure inside when examined — a detail that continues to puzzle investigators and fuel speculation about what overwhelmed five experienced Italian […]
5 minutes ago: Sixty meters below the surface of the Maldives, a legendary team of divers is risking their lives
An elite squad of divers is in a race against time to recover the final bodies of the five Italians who died in Thursday’s tragic incident in the Maldives — hoping they can reach their remains before the sharks do. Only the body of the doomed group’s diving instructor has been found so far — while a Maldivian […]
The legendary diving team that rescued people from a cave in Thailand is now in the Maldives searching for four Italian bodies trapped 60 meters below the surface
An elite squad of divers is in a race against time to recover the final bodies of the five Italians who died in Thursday’s tragic incident in the Maldives — hoping they can reach their remains before the sharks do. Only the body of the doomed group’s diving instructor has been found so far — while a Maldivian […]
Investigators and the public are focusing their attention on one shocking detail: the mysterious 27-second delay before the emergency alarm system was finally activated
Husband who lost wife, daughter in Maldives diving tragedy insists ‘something happened down there’ as he searches for answers A grieving Italian scientist who lost both his wife and a daughter in the Maldives diving tragedy insisted Friday that something wildly unexpected must have happened because his wife was too experienced a diver to have taken risks. […]
End of content
No more pages to load






