A major underwater recovery mission has wrapped up in the Maldives after four Italian divers went missing inside a dangerous underwater cave system near Vaavu Atoll. Their bodies have now been recovered.
The breakthrough came as three elite Finnish cave divers arrived to help remap the search area after earlier rescue attempts ended in tragedy, including the death of a Maldivian military diver. Authorities say the divers were part of a marine research expedition and may have exceeded recreational diving limits before entering the cave network. The incident is being described as one of the deadliest diving disasters in Maldives’ history.
Spokesperson for Indian Ocean island nation says they will try to recover explorers in next couple of days
Rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days after they were reported missing.
Searches had resumed after being suspended following the death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them.
The government of the Indian Ocean island nation confirmed on Monday the bodies were spotted in the innermost part of the cave by three Finnish diving experts, supported by the Maldives police and the military.
“As was previously thought, the four bodies were found inside the cave, not only inside the cave but well inside the cave into the third segment of the cave, which is the largest part,” said Ahmed Shaam, a Maldives government spokesperson.
He said the four were found “pretty much together”.
“The plan is they will try and recover two bodies tomorrow and possibly the other two the following day,” Shaam said in a voice clip sent to the media.
The body of a fifth Italian, a diving instructor, was found earlier outside the cave. The five were exploring a cave at a depth of about 50 metres (160ft) in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to Italy’s foreign ministry. The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30 metres.
The Maldives presidential spokesperson, Mohamed Hussain Shareef, said the government had given the group the necessary permit to research soft corals in the Devana Kandu site.
“What we didn’t know was that it was cave diving,” Shareef said. “Because, as divers will tell you and appreciate, it’s a very different discipline with its own sets of challenges and risks involved, and particularly at that depth, there are any number of things that could have gone wrong.”
Shareef said they have suspended the operation of the boat used by the divers “because the regulations here say that if you want to take divers on expeditions, you need a dive school permit, which they didn’t have, sadly”.
The boat operator of the MV Duke of York, Abdul Muhsin Moosa, said the vessel did have permission for recreational depth of up to 30 metres.
“We are sharing these details with the government, as well,” he said, adding that the divers were briefed on arrival at the boat about Maldives’ recreational diving limits and that they are not allowed to go beyond 30 metres.
It is the deadliest single incident in the country’s diving history.

Maldives diver dies in operation to recover bodies of Italians from cave
Read more
Three Finnish divers, experts in deep and cave diving, arrived in the Maldives on Sunday.
Shareef said earlier that the search was suspended after Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldives National Defence Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital on Saturday.
Rough weather has repeatedly hampered rescue efforts.
Initial teams had already dived to identify and mark the entrance to the cave system where the Italians disappeared. The cause of the deaths remains under investigation.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/may/18/maldives-cave-italian-divers-bodies
News
HAUNTING LOCKSCREEN PHOTO OF MISSING DIVERS
HAUNTING LOCKSCREEN PHOTO OF MISSING DIVERS The last image recovered from the expedition team’s phone revealed a terrifying moment: escape blocked, hope turned into utter panic. The bewildered eyes, faces contorted with fear, and stiff bodies of the victims showed they had realized their utter hopelessness. The photo is now the focus of global attention, […]
Bodies of 4 Missing Divers Found in Dangerous Cave on Vaavu Atoll
A major underwater recovery mission has wrapped up in the Maldives after four Italian divers went missing inside a dangerous underwater cave system near Vaavu Atoll. Their bodies have now been recovered. The breakthrough came as three elite Finnish cave divers arrived to help remap the search area after earlier rescue attempts ended in tragedy, […]
Gianluca Benedetti fell right at the cave entrance—where light and life were just meters away
He almost saved himself. Gianluca Benedetti fell right at the cave entrance—where light and life were only meters away. Behind him, a devastating tragedy engulfed the entire group. But a gnawing question remains unanswered: When the escape was right before his eyes, what prevented Gianluca from stepping out? Gianluca Benedetti narrowly escaped death when his […]
When the escape was right before his eyes, what prevented Gianluca from stepping out?
He almost saved himself. Gianluca Benedetti fell right at the cave entrance—where light and life were only meters away. Behind him, a devastating tragedy engulfed the entire group. But a gnawing question remains unanswered: When the escape was right before his eyes, what prevented Gianluca from stepping out? Gianluca Benedetti narrowly escaped death when his […]
According to the latest police theory, the entire expedition team became severely trapped, leading to an irreversible tragedy
Gianluca Benedetti narrowly escaped death when his body was found just meters from the cave entrance. According to the latest police theory, the entire expedition team became severely trapped, leading to an irreversible tragedy. However, the fact that Gianluca reached the exit but still died remains a major mystery for investigators. A deadly labyrinth hidden […]
BREAKING NEWS: The family of a victim in the Maldives tragedy has revealed why they watched the final footage so many times
The international investigation into the Maldives diving disaster has entered a highly technical phase as forensic teams and legal representatives analyze the final visual records captured topside. The catastrophic incident, which resulted in the loss of five Italian nationals—including the renowned University of Genoa marine ecologist Professor Monica Montefalcone and her twenty-three-year-old daughter Giorgia Sommacal—stands […]
End of content
No more pages to load








