“He has never left us,” the 15-year-old boy’s mother said through tears in an interview
Bailey Richards is a writer-reporter at PEOPLE. She has been working at PEOPLE since 2023 and interned with the brand in 2022. Her work has previously appeared in PAPER Magazine, TV Insider and other digital publications.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(819x699:821x701):format(webp)/Thomas-Medlin-missing-012426-03-70f594a62bca42f4af13138e605e6b43.jpg)
Thomas Medlin.Credit : Suffolk County Police Department
NEED TO KNOW
Thomas Medlin, 15, went missing after traveling into Manhattan from his Long Island, N.Y., school on Jan. 9
The teen’s mother believes he was heading into the city to see someone he met on Roblox
Thomas has been missing for two weeks, and remains missing as extreme weather is set to hit New York
A teenage boy has been missing for two weeks, since heading into Manhattan from his home in Long Island, N.Y. His mom believes he left to meet someone he met online through Roblox.
Fifteen-year-old Thomas Medlin of St. James, a hamlet in Suffolk County, went missing on Friday, Jan. 9, after traveling into Manhattan after school, according to a news release shared by the Suffolk County Police Department (SCPD) on Monday, Jan. 12.
Thomas left Stony Brook School that Friday at around 3:30 p.m. local time, and “ran” to the Stony Brook Long Island Rail Road station, where he seemingly caught a train into Manhattan, per the SCPD.
He was last seen at Grand Central Station around two hours later, about 5:30 p.m. local time, that same day, police said.
A photo shared by the SCPD shows the 15-year-old wearing a backpack and holding a large object while walking on what appears to be a N.Y.C. subway train platform.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(646x556:648x558):format(webp)/Thomas-Medlin-missing-012426-02-aaca8308b062441c8fbe8e982628ebd1.jpg)
Thomas Medlin.Suffolk County Police Department
The teen — who is 5 feet, 4 inches tall and weighs 130 lbs. — was last seen wearing a black jacket with red stripes, dark sweatpants with white stripes, a black backpack and glasses, according to police.
Police have since traced Thomas’ location to around Cherry and Rutgers Streets in Lower Manhattan, and later, Sands and Jay Street in Brooklyn, Long Island outlet News 12 reported, citing the teen’s family.
Thomas’ family has not heard from the teen since he left that Friday afternoon, according to News 12.
In a new interview published on Friday, Jan. 23, two weeks after Thomas first went missing, his mother, Eva Yan, told the outlet that she believes the teen was heading into the city to meet someone he became acquainted with through Roblox.
In a statement to PEOPLE, a spokesperson for the online gaming platform said, “We are deeply troubled by this incident and are working with law enforcement to support their investigation.”
“Roblox is built with safety at its core, including robust policies to help protect users that go beyond many other platforms,” the Roblox spokesperson continued. “We have filters designed to block the sharing of personal information and don’t allow user-to-user image or video sharing. While no system is perfect, our commitment to safety never ends, and we continue to evolve and strengthen our protections every day.
“Given this involves an ongoing investigation, we cannot comment further at this time.”
The SCPD did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for updates on Saturday, Jan. 24.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(607x383:609x385):format(webp)/Thomas-Medlin-missing-012426-01-7e0a4dc691fd49e6bd5c931856b0be97.jpg)
Thomas Medlin.Suffolk County Police Department
Yan also told News 12 that her son’s behavior is out of character. “He has never left us,” she said through tears.
“I just can’t believe why he left in the first place,” the teen’s father, James Medlin, told News 12.
Related Stories
14-Year-Old Found Safe After Disappearing from Behavioral Health Center as Search for Other Girls Continues, Police Say
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/Joseline-Krofec-1-012326-bd3a72e598564649a1541d856b1042c9.jpg)
Family Say Teen Who Vanished Near Dracula’s Castle on Hike Is ‘Lost to Us’
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/george-smyth-120225-1-ddedb66a3c3e4b5f90fd681ed314cfb5.jpg)
Yan also said that Thomas’ loved ones have been searching for him every day with organized search parties in both Long Island and Manhattan. They have been checking homeless shelters, and are particularly worried about the teen with the extreme weather that is set to hit New York in the coming days.
“Everyone loves him,” Yan said of her son, later adding, “We just want him to be safe.”
The SCPD has asked anyone with information about Thomas’ whereabouts to contact Fourth Squad Detectives at 631-854-8452 or call 911.
News
THE PHONE CALLS THE PUBLIC WAS NEVER MEANT TO HEAR: Newly surfaced jail recordings involving Mackenzie Shirilla reportedly contain comments that are leaving many stunned… 👇👇
Two young men lost their lives in the crash. But in newly surfaced jailhouse phone calls, Mackenzie Shirilla appeared consumed by another loss: the life she feared she might never get back. The Ohio woman convicted of murdering Dominic Russo and Davion Flanagan in a 2022 high-speed crash is facing renewed public anger after recorded […]
WHAT MACKENZIE SAID BEHIND BARS IS NOW PUBLIC: A previously unheard prison statement played in court allegedly revealed five chilling words about Davion Flanagan… 👇👇
Five Words That Stunned the Courtroom: New Prison Calls Put Mackenzie Shirilla Back Under Scrutiny By U.S. Crime Desk The case of Mackenzie Shirilla has returned to the public spotlight, not because of new charges, but because of old words now being heard in a new context. Newly surfaced jail and prison calls linked to […]
WHAT WILL THE JUDGE DECIDE NOW? After a controversial courtroom statement from Mackenzie Shirilla, public reaction is intensifying ahead of the final ruling… 👇👇
By U.S. Crime Desk The courtroom had already heard the evidence.The families had already described the loss.And Mackenzie Shirilla, the young Ohio woman convicted of killing two people in a high-speed crash, was facing the moment that would define the rest of her life. The question was no longer whether the crash happened. It was […]
THE PANIC APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN SYNCHRONIZED: Families of the victims in the Maldives tragedy are demanding answers after dive logs allegedly revealed simultaneous air-hose release… 👇👇
By International Desk The most chilling theory yet in the Maldives cave-diving tragedy centers on a single question: did four divers panic at the same moment deep inside the cave? A claim circulating online alleges that newly published dive logs from May 21 show all four divers released their air hoses at the same second, […]
POLICE ARE NOW ASKING A DARKER QUESTION: Investigators examining the fatal fall of Donike Gocaj are reportedly looking into whether the open manhole was intentionally left uncovered… 👇👇
By U.S. News Desk The death of Donike Gocaj, the 56-year-old Westchester grandmother who fell into an open manhole in Midtown Manhattan, has triggered a wave of public anger and difficult questions. Was the cover deliberately removed? Could someone have opened it on purpose? Or was this a horrifying accident caused by a dangerous failure […]
VIRGIN RIVER SEASON 8 SHAKE-UP CONFIRMED — FANS ARE BRACING FOR GOODBYES 💔 Big changes are coming to Virgin River
Big changes are coming to Virgin River, and this time, the town may not feel exactly the same when the new season begins. Netflix’s beloved small-town drama has officially been renewed for Season 8, extending the life of one of the streamer’s most reliable comfort shows. But the next chapter is arriving with a noticeable […]
End of content
No more pages to load















