The US National Transportation Safety Board has arrived to begin investigations at a Maine airport where a business jet crashed during takeoff, killing all six people on board.The Paris-bound Bombardier Challenger 600 flipped over and burned on takeoff at Bangor International Airport around 7.45pm Sunday night (local time).
It came as the nation’s massive winter storm was beginning to reach the area. It remained unclear on Tuesday (local time) if the weather or cold played a role in the crash as investigators were just beginning their work.
Experts say the weather and questions about whether ice accumulating on the wings kept the plane from getting airborne — as has happened at least twice before on that plane model — will likely be an initial focus by the NTSB.
However, the agency will consider all possible factors.
The FAA released an updated accident statement on Tuesday that said the six people on board died, and that number included four passengers and two crew members.
The statement said the plane “crashed under unknown circumstances on departure, came to rest inverted and caught on fire”.
The crash victims include a pilot and an event planner
The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Maine said Tuesday that the office is working with law enforcement to confirm the identities of the people who died.
Lakewood Church in Houston, run by Joel Osteen Ministries, confirmed on Tuesday that longtime employee Shawna Collins, 53, was among those killed.
“She oversaw our customer service department,” church spokesperson Donald Iloff Jr told The Associated Press on Tuesday. “Everybody loved her. She just had that kind of personality.”

News in 90 Seconds January 28
The morning’s headlines in 90 seconds, including Police appeal for help over spate of robberies, Melania speaks about Minneapolis protests, and a tennis star’s meltdown caught on camera.
The morning’s headlines in 90 seconds, including Police appeal for help over spate of robberies, Melania speaks about Minneapolis protests, and a tennis star’s meltdown caught on camera. (Source: 1News)
Collins’ social media posts show her work organising parties and events in Italy, Hawaii and elsewhere, for clients that included Arnold and Itkin Trial Lawyers, the Houston law firm linked to the plane’s registration. Collins, who was married with children and grandchildren, had also been helping plan her daughter’s wedding set for this year, he said.
“She was very good at it. Everybody wanted her to plan her events for them,” Iloff said.
One of the law firm’s founding partners is listed as the registered agent for the company that owns the plane. The firm has so far declined to identify the passengers or comment on the crash.
A relative of the pilot, speaking to ABC News, identified him as Jacob Hosmer. Hosmer, 47, is listed in online records as a licensed flight instructor and the managing member of Platinum Skies Aviation LLC, incorporated in Texas in late 2024.
The international airport in Bangor, about 320 kilometres north of Boston, is one of the closest in the US. to Europe and is often used to refuel private jets flying overseas. The Bombardier was headed for France when it crashed.
NTSB said they would have an update on Wednesday, while the airport said it expected to provide one later Tuesday.
A preliminary report outlining the facts of the crash should be released in about a month, but the final version likely won’t be published for more than a year.
History of icing problems with these planes

The Bombardier Challenger 600 is a wide-bodied business jet configured for nine to 11 passengers. It was launched in 1980 as the first private jet with a “walk-about cabin” and remains a popular charter option, according to aircharterservice.com.
The Bombardier Challenger 600 model “has a history of problems with icing on takeoff” that caused previous deadly crashes in Birmingham, England; and Montrose, Colorado, more than 20 years ago, aviation safety consultant Jeff Guzzetti said.
Even a little bit of ice on the wings can cause serious problems, so careful inspections and de-icing are a crucial step before takeoff, the former federal crash investigator said.
And there is a time limit on how long de-icing remains effective. It could last only about 20 minutes.
“Given the weather conditions at the time, and the history of wind contamination with this particular aircraft, I’m sure that’s something the NTSB is going to look into immediately,” Guzzetti said.
“If there was any kind of precipitation at all, freezing precipitation, they would have needed to clean off those wings before they took off.”
News
WHO ERASED THE DIVE RECORDS? Authorities investigating the deaths of the Italian divers in the Maldives say critical underwater data appears to have been deliberately wiped before the devices were recovered…
The investigation into the Maldives cave-diving disaster may now turn on one of the smallest but most important witnesses recovered from the deep: the divers’ computers. A new claim circulating around the case alleges that data was manually erased from four dive computers belonging to members of the Italian group who died inside an underwater […]
WHAT DID THE DIVERS SEE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE Maldives? A leaked GoPro recording from Tunnel No. 3 is fueling chilling speculation after scientists reportedly uncovered signs of toxic dumping… 👇👇
A shocking claim circulating online has added a new layer of speculation to the Maldives cave-diving tragedy: that a four-minute GoPro video allegedly shows Italian scientists discovering an illegal toxic-waste dump inside an underwater tunnel shortly before they died. The claim has not been confirmed by Maldivian authorities, Italian officials, or any major investigative agency. […]
PART THREE OF THE CAVE: Maldives: Rescuers found them “almost together” — And now everyone wants to know why they never tried to escape when they were so close to death… 👇👇
A new forensic angle may deepen the investigation into the Maldives cave-diving disaster, as reports claim examiners are looking at unusual marks on the gas-cylinder valves used by members of the Italian diving group who died beneath Vaavu Atoll. Authorities have not publicly confirmed that scratches were found on the valves, nor have they said […]
WHAT WAS WAITING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE Maldives? Recovery teams are now focusing on a mysterious threat inside “Vault No. 3” that experts believe triggered the deaths of five divers in rapid succession…
The most frightening danger inside the Maldives sea cave may not have been the darkness, the depth, or even the narrow walls. It may have been something the divers could not see. Investigators are now examining whether a “silent killer” linked to depth, gas exposure, and cave conditions may have overwhelmed five Italian divers who […]
SECRETS FROM THE MALDIVES SEABED: Rescuers reportedly discovered a final handwritten letter belonging to the oldest professor among the victims — and 10 faded lines may explain the tragedy… 👇
The sea has returned the bodies, but not yet the full truth. Days after five Italian divers died during a cave dive in the Maldives, investigators are still trying to reconstruct what happened in the dark underwater system near Vaavu Atoll. The group had entered a cave area at a depth of around 50 meters […]
FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE Maldives: Investigators examining the recovered divers say one chilling detail suggests they may not have even attempted to escape the cave… 👇👇
When specialist divers finally reached the deepest chamber of the underwater cave in the Maldives, what they found appeared to deepen the mystery rather than close it. Four bodies, believed to be part of the Italian diving group that vanished during a fatal cave dive, were located close together inside the third and largest section […]
End of content
No more pages to load












