Family and friends of a 12-year-old boy mauled by a shark during an afternoon swim with friends on Sunday have given a grim update on his prognosis.
Nico Antic was jumping off rocks into the water near Shark Beach in Vaucluse, NSW, when the predator, believed to be a bull shark, attacked, leaving him with catastrophic injuries.
Both his legs were severely injured and he is in a critical condition in Sydney Children’s Hospital after undergoing emergency surgery on Sunday night.
His parents, originally from South America, are at his bedside. On Wednesday, an immediate family member reportedly told the Daily Mail that Nico is “still asleep, but will not be able to make it because his brain is completely unresponsive”.
“He is a sporty kid and never fails to put a smile on people’s faces. He is loved by many friends and family.”
Nico has been described as a “sporty kid”. Credit: Unknown/GoFundMe
On Tuesday, family friend Victor Piñeiro, who has set up a GoFundMe campaign to support the Antic family, gave a bleak update on the boy’s condition in a statement to support the fundraising efforts.
“Despite all efforts, this heartbreaking event has led to the worst possible outcome,” he wrote.
“We are raising funds to help the Antic family cover upcoming expenses and related arrangements during this incredibly difficult time.”
Nico’s plight has inspired around 1500 people to donate to the GoFundMe campaign. As of 12.30pm AEDT, it had raised $113,000.
Among those donating was Kate Barley, whose 15-year-old son Khai Cowley died in a shark attack in 2023.
“From one mum to another, my heart is holding you so tightly. I lost my beautiful boy Khai in a shark attack in SA — he was only 15 — and I know how unbearable this waiting and fear can be. Your precious boy is in our thoughts and prayers, and your family is being held with deep love and strength right now,” she wrote.
Speaking of the courageous efforts to save Nico, Superintendent Joseph McNulty earlier this week said one of his friends had bravely jumped into the water to help him in the moments after the attack before two others helped pull him onto a nearby rock.
The police boat arrived soon after with officer aboard applying tow tourniquets, one for each leg to stem the bleeding.
He was given a blood transfusion while in the ambulance on his way from the Rose Bay ferry wharf to the hospital in Randwick.
NSW Ambulance inspector Giles Buchanan said of the rescue effort that it was “touch and go” the whole way to the hospital.
Nico’s attack was the beginning of a spree of shark attacks in NSW over three days. Andre de Ruyter was left in critical condition after an attack at Manly’s North Steyne Beach on Monday night and an 11-year-old boy had a close call after his surfboard was bitten at Dee Why on Monday morning.
News
Eight words from the last message sent to his family by the diver who died in the Maldives accident, just minutes before he lay at the bottom of the sea 60 meters below the surface…
The final message was brief, ordinary, and painfully human. Eight words, reportedly sent to family only minutes before one of five Italian divers disappeared beneath the waters of the Maldives, have now become one of the most haunting details in a tragedy that has shaken the international diving community. The divers were part of a […]
SHE PRETENDED TO BE BROKE… AND HIS FAMILY SHOWED THEIR REAL FACE BEFORE DESSERT Maya won $97 million on a rainy Thursday.
By the time I came home, I had already begun building a wall around our lives. Then I walked into our kitchen and told my husband I had been fired. The next morning, Daniel left for work before sunrise. He kissed my forehead and whispered, “Sleep in. Today you don’t have to be strong.” I […]
THE “6TH DIVER” SPEAKS OUT: The only member who canceled the fatal Maldives dive says she received an anonymous 10-word warning just before the group entered the water… 👇👇
A woman identified by sources as part of the broader diving group connected to the deadly Maldives cave-diving tragedy has reportedly spoken for the first time about the decision that caused her to cancel the fatal descent only hours before the expedition began. Authorities have not publicly confirmed the existence of any anonymous warning letter, […]
JUST NOW: Leaked dive logs from the Italian tourist group who died in the Maldives reportedly contain footage from a hidden camera — capturing a terrifying moment nearly 60 meters underwater… 👇👇
Investigators examining the deaths of five Italian divers in the Maldives are reportedly focusing on data recovered from diving equipment and underwater recording devices as they attempt to reconstruct what happened deep inside the cave system where the group vanished. Authorities have not publicly confirmed the existence of any “hidden camera footage,” nor have officials […]
THE MALDIVES DIVING TRAGEDY RECONSTRUCTED: Investigators say the deaths of five Italian tourists may be linked to a terrifying issue involving oxygen tanks — and experts are still shaken by the details…
The investigation into the deaths of five Italian tourists during a deep cave dive in the Maldives is increasingly focusing on one terrifying possibility: something may have gone catastrophically wrong with the divers’ breathing systems deep underwater. Authorities in the Maldives have not yet released a final official cause of death. However, diving experts reviewing […]
HIS SISTER ORDERED HIM A BRIDE… BUT THE WOMAN KNEW WHY HIS FAMILY REALLY DIED
The envelope arrived on a Tuesday, which should have been Caleb’s first warning. Nothing good ever came on Tuesdays. He found it wedged between the fence post and the mailbox, his sister’s handwriting scrolled across the front — Margaret had that bossy optimism that made his jaw clench even in penmanship. Dearest Caleb, I know […]
End of content
No more pages to load






