Nico Antic, 12, dies in hospital after being attacked by a shark in Sydney
Family confirms boy has died almost a week after the attack, describing him as possessing the ‘most kind and generous spirit
A 12-year-old boy has died in hospital after being mauled by a shark in Sydney Harbour last weekend, his family has confirmed.
The boy, named as Nico Antic in an online fundraiser, had been fighting for his life after being bitten on both legs on 18 January at a harbour beach in Vaucluse, in Sydney’s east.
In a statement on Saturday his parents, Lorena and Juan, confirmed their son had succumbed to his injuries.
“We are heartbroken to share that our son, Nico, has passed away,” they said in a joint statement.
“Nico was a happy, friendly, and sporty young boy with the most kind and generous spirit. He was always full of life and that’s how we’ll remember him.
“We would like to sincerely thank the first responders and the teams at Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick for everything they did to care for Nico.
“We would also like to thank everyone in the community for their support and kind messages.”

Nico Antic’s friends had rushed to assist him, with at least one jumping into the water to pull him to safety, police said. Photograph: GoFundMe

Shark beach at Nielsen park, Vaucluse, near where Nico and his friends had been playing. Photograph: Jessica Hromas/The Guardian
Nico had been in a critical condition since he arrived at the hospital on 18 January.
A GoFundMe had raised nearly $240,000 for Nico’s family as of Saturday afternoon, with tributes including from Kate Barley, mother of Khai Cowley, a 15-year-old killed by a shark in 2023.
Sign up: AU Breaking News email
“From one mum to another, my heart is holding you so tightly,” Barley’s comment, posted earlier this week, read.
“I lost my beautiful boy Khai in a shark attack in South Australia — he was only 15 — and I know how unbearable this waiting and fear can be. Your precious boy is in our thoughts and prayers, and your family is being held with deep love and strength right now.”

Shark beach was closed to swimmers in the aftermath of the attack. Photograph: Jessica Hromas/The Guardian
Nico was part of the North Bondi Surf Life Saving Club in the Nippers program and was awarded most improved for under-11 boys in 2024.
He had been swimming outside the shark net enclosure near Shark beach at Nielsen park on Sunday afternoon when what was thought to be a bull shark attacked him.
Nico’s friends rushed to assist him, with at least one jumping into the water to pull him to safety, Supt Joe McNulty of NSW police’s marine area command, said on Monday.
NSW police confirmed a report would be prepared for the coroner.
The incident was the first of four shark bites on the New South Wales coast in 48 hours.
On Monday, an 11-year-old’s surfboard was bitten at Dee Why, and a 27-year-old man was bitten while surfing in Manly.
On Tuesday morning a 39-year-old man was bitten at Point Plomer on the state’s mid-north coast, about five hours’ north of Sydney.
Experts have linked the spike in activity to intense rainfall, which flushed dirty water on to the coast and beaches.

An 11-year-old surfer in Dee Why’s board was attacked by a shark earlier this week, one of four attacks in 48 hours. He did not sustain injuries. Photograph: Manly Observer
Nearly 30 Sydney beaches were closed in the wake of the attacks, swimming events cancelled and experienced surfers have described themselves as afraid to return to the water this week.
All beaches reopened ahead of the long weekend – however Manly beach was closed again on Saturday after a shark sighting.
NSW’s shark management program, boosted by $2.5 million in December, includes SMART drumlines and drone patrols at 50 beaches during the school holidays.
News
The Corporate Playbook Unmasked: Why Million-Dollar Empires Always Brand Lost Experts as “Reckless Amateurs”
MALÉ, Maldives — The official narrative surrounding the deadliest diving disaster in Maldives history has completely disintegrated over the past 24 hours. What multi-million-dollar resort operators desperately tried to brand as “tourist negligence” has transformed into a high-stakes international manslaughter investigation. With the dramatic recovery of a second body from the notorious Alimathaa cave system […]
FORBIDDEN ALLIANCE: Tommy Norris And Cami Miller Secretly Team Up To Blackmail M-Tex Giants!
[SHOCKING LEAK] Landman Season 3 Kills Off A Major Norris Family Member Over Deadly Cartel Debt! Taylor Sheridan just dealt a devastating blow to fans. Inside sources reveal that an irreplaceable member of the Norris family will pay the ultimate price under Gallino’s gun to clear Tommy’s sins in the upcoming premiere! The dust in […]
THE BEST FRIEND’S ALIBI CRUMBLES: SLED Inside Sources Confirm Late-Night Interrogation In Tyler Doyle Case!
THE AMBUSH AT SEA: Best Friend Interrogated, Boat Sabotaged as SLED Unlocks the Tyler Doyle Investigation MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. — The narrative of a tragic duck hunting accident that gripped South Carolina for over three years has completely collapsed. Following the shocking recovery of 22-year-old Tyler Doyle’s remains 13 kilometers away from the alleged capsize […]
JUST IN: “They Blamed My Dead Family To Save Their Millions”—Grieving Father Exposes Cruise Empire!
Top divers join perilous mission to recover Italian tourists’ remains from Maldives sea cave Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, on May 15, 2026. Maldives President’s Media Division/AP International cave divers have arrived in the Maldives to step up the search for the remains of four Italians […]
T0XIC AIR LINES: Chilling Connection Found Between Fallen Military Diver And Lost Italian Team!
Top divers join perilous mission to recover Italian tourists’ remains from Maldives sea cave Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, on May 15, 2026. Maldives President’s Media Division/AP International cave divers have arrived in the Maldives to step up the search for the remains of four Italians […]
THE TIME GAP MYSTERY: Hidden Deck Footage Captures Final Heated Argument Before 5 Divers V-nished!
A Maldivian military diver has died while searching for the bodies of four Italian divers Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital. Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Alimathaa Island, Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, […]
End of content
No more pages to load










