Boy, 12, Dies in Hospital Days After Shark Attack Left Him Critically Injured: ‘Most Kind and Generous Spirit’
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(1079x876:1081x878):format(webp)/Nico-Antic-shark-attack-012426-3df33de76f6645d0bf36c87b642e4a21.jpg)
Nico Antic.Credit : gofundme
NEED TO KNOW
Nico Antic suffered serious leg injuries in a shark attack in New South Wales, Australia, on Sunday, Jan. 18
According to the New South Wales Police, Antic, 12, was taken to the Children’s Hospital at Randwick in a critical condition
He died on Saturday, Jan. 24, just days after his parents, Lorena and Juan, confirmed that he was brain dead
A 12-year-old boy has succumbed to his injuries a week after a shark in Sydney Harbour attacked him.
On Sunday, Jan. 18, Nico Antic was rushed to the Children’s Hospital at Randwick in a critical condition after being “bitten by a shark” along Hermitage Foreshore Walk in Vaucluse, the New South Wales (NSW) Police said in a news release.
Antic, 12, died in the hospital on Saturday, Jan. 24, just days after his parents, Lorena and Juan, had confirmed that he was brain dead, according to U.K. newspaper Metro.
“We are heartbroken that our son, Nico, has passed away,” his family wrote on GoFundMe. “Nico was a happy, friendly, and sporty young boy with the most kind and generous spirit. He was always full of life and that is how we will remember him.”
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(1270x996:1272x998):format(webp)/Shark-Beach-Nielsen-Park-Vaucluse-Sydney-012426-38272c5bf0bd447b9a514be22f6000f6.jpg)
Shark Beach at Nielsen Park in Vaucluse, Sydney.Getty
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
“We would like to sincerely thank the first responders and the teams at Sydney Children’s hospital, Randwick, for everything they did to care for Nico,” they continued, also thanking their community for their support.
Antic had been jumping off a 6 m (19.6-foot) rock with two friends when the shark attack occurred. He was pulled out of the water by one of his friends, 7News Australia reported.
Related Stories
Third Shark Attack in 24 Hours on Sydney’s Northern Beaches Leaves Surfer in ‘Critical’ Condition
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/manly-beach-nsw-australia-011926-a6b9fdc86df547279094219a19c5ab47.jpg)
Fourth Shark Attack in 48 Hours on Australia’s New South Wales Coastline Sees Surfer Hospitalized with Chest Wound
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/manly-beach-sydney-012026-1-9648e95607a6463b8fca8417385468c7.jpg)
“He kept fighting and breathing in my arms and he never gave up for a second…I’m grateful I was there for his last moments awake,” the friend told the outlet. “There was a brief second where Nico woke up while he was bleeding and he just looked at me and then stopped and I thought I lost him… I’m so surprised he fought for so long.”
Emergency services responded to reports of a boy bitten by what is believed to have been a bull shark in the area at 4:20 p.m. local time on Jan. 18, PEOPLE previously reported. He “suffered leg injuries” in the incident, according to the NSW Police.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(1398x483:1400x485):format(webp)/Sydneys-north-012426-826f079ce0664db28bf88edcb3589f79.jpg)
Palm Beach in Sydney.Steve Christo – Corbis/Corbis via Getty
Antic’s death comes just weeks before his 13th birthday, Metro reported.
The GoFundMe set up in his memory has raised over $250,000 towards its goal of $300,000.
The fatal attack is one of four shark incidents to have occurred in Sydney, Australia, in recent days.
On Jan. 20, a 39-year-old man suffered a chest wound after a shark “took hold” of his surfboard and bit him while surfing in New South Wales. A few hours before, a surfer in his 20s was critically injured in a shark attack at North Steyne Beach in New South Wales.
News
The Corporate Playbook Unmasked: Why Million-Dollar Empires Always Brand Lost Experts as “Reckless Amateurs”
MALÉ, Maldives — The official narrative surrounding the deadliest diving disaster in Maldives history has completely disintegrated over the past 24 hours. What multi-million-dollar resort operators desperately tried to brand as “tourist negligence” has transformed into a high-stakes international manslaughter investigation. With the dramatic recovery of a second body from the notorious Alimathaa cave system […]
FORBIDDEN ALLIANCE: Tommy Norris And Cami Miller Secretly Team Up To Blackmail M-Tex Giants!
[SHOCKING LEAK] Landman Season 3 Kills Off A Major Norris Family Member Over Deadly Cartel Debt! Taylor Sheridan just dealt a devastating blow to fans. Inside sources reveal that an irreplaceable member of the Norris family will pay the ultimate price under Gallino’s gun to clear Tommy’s sins in the upcoming premiere! The dust in […]
THE BEST FRIEND’S ALIBI CRUMBLES: SLED Inside Sources Confirm Late-Night Interrogation In Tyler Doyle Case!
THE AMBUSH AT SEA: Best Friend Interrogated, Boat Sabotaged as SLED Unlocks the Tyler Doyle Investigation MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. — The narrative of a tragic duck hunting accident that gripped South Carolina for over three years has completely collapsed. Following the shocking recovery of 22-year-old Tyler Doyle’s remains 13 kilometers away from the alleged capsize […]
JUST IN: “They Blamed My Dead Family To Save Their Millions”—Grieving Father Exposes Cruise Empire!
Top divers join perilous mission to recover Italian tourists’ remains from Maldives sea cave Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, on May 15, 2026. Maldives President’s Media Division/AP International cave divers have arrived in the Maldives to step up the search for the remains of four Italians […]
T0XIC AIR LINES: Chilling Connection Found Between Fallen Military Diver And Lost Italian Team!
Top divers join perilous mission to recover Italian tourists’ remains from Maldives sea cave Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, on May 15, 2026. Maldives President’s Media Division/AP International cave divers have arrived in the Maldives to step up the search for the remains of four Italians […]
THE TIME GAP MYSTERY: Hidden Deck Footage Captures Final Heated Argument Before 5 Divers V-nished!
A Maldivian military diver has died while searching for the bodies of four Italian divers Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital. Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Alimathaa Island, Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, […]
End of content
No more pages to load










