ICU Nurse Alex Pretti Killed by Feds in Minn. Held Phone, Not a Gun, Video Shows
Witnesses have shared videos contradicting DHS’ claims about Alex Pretti’s fatal shooting in Minneapolis on Jan. 24
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(999x708:1001x710):format(webp)/Alex-Pretti-012526-130547e3d0e04980b22066ef1c30b87b.jpg)
Alex Pretti.Credit : ROBERTO SCHMIDT / AFP via Getty
NEED TO KNOW
ICU nurse Alex Pretti was fatally shot by federal officers in Minneapolis on Saturday, Jan. 24
The Department of Homeland Security claimed in a statement on X that the shooting occurred because he was “armed” and “violently resisted”
However, witness footage shared online appears to show Pretti holding a phone, rather than a gun as alleged by officers
The ICU nurse fatally shot by federal officers in Minneapolis was not armed at the time of his killing, despite the claim from officials, according to witness footage.
At around 9 a.m. local time on Saturday, Jan. 24, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) “law enforcement officers were conducting a targeted operation in Minneapolis against an illegal alien wanted for violent assault,” DHS assistant secretary Tricia McLaughlin previously told PEOPLE.
Moments later, officers fatally shot a 37-year-old man, later identified as Alex Pretti.
The DHS claimed in a statement posted on X that an individual “approached U.S. Border Patrol officers with a 9 mm semi-automatic handgun” and “violently resisted” as they attempted to disarm him. An agent then “fired defensive shots” at the suspect, the agency said.
However, footage verified by The New York Times appears to contradict the DHS’s account of the situation. Pretti is seen standing among a group of protesters with both hands visible, while holding his phone in one hand as an agent squirts pepper spray at the group.
Several agents then approached Pretti, who didn’t seem to be holding or pulling a weapon as he was pinned on the sidewalk.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(1067x503:1069x505):format(webp)/Alex-Pretti-Minnesota-012526-4a653f727101488b8ad81b0cc369c9a3.jpg)
The scene of where Alex Pretti was shot.Ben Hovland/Minnesota Public Radio via AP
According to the Times, Pretti’s gun appeared to have already been unholstered by an agent before he was shot in the back. He sustained at least 10 gunshots fired within five seconds.
Pretti’s family has accused President Donald Trump’s administration of creating “sickening lies” about his death in a statement shared by the Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party.
Related Stories
Family of ICU Nurse Killed by Federal Agents Remember His ‘Kindhearted Soul,’ Call DHS’ Account of Shooting ‘Sickening Lies’
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/Alex-Jeffrey-Pretti-012426-2-e1bca35cfb0944d2ac9489954d5287dd.jpg)
Man Killed by Officers in Minneapolis Wasn’t ‘Someone Who Would Pick a Fight,’ High School Friend Recalls (Exclusive)
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/Alex-Jeffrey-Pretti-012426-1-256f5a0db44a4a149e74a719b34aabb2.jpg)
“We are heartbroken but also very angry…The sickening lies told about our son by the administration are reprehensible and disgusting,” said Pretti’s parents, Michael and Susan. “Alex is clearly not holding a gun when attacked by Trump’s murdering and cowardly ICE thugs.”
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x0:751x2):format(webp)/Alex-Jeffrey-Pretti-012426-1-256f5a0db44a4a149e74a719b34aabb2.jpg)
Alex Pretti.va.gov
“He has his phone in his right hand and his empty left hand is raised above his head while trying to protect the woman ICE just pushed down all while being pepper-sprayed,” they continued, adding, “Please get the truth out about our son. He was a good man.”
Police chief Brian O’Hara confirmed that Pretti had no known criminal record at the time of his death and was a lawful gun owner.
During a press conference on Saturday, O’Hara said that there was “more than one law enforcement officer involved in the discharge” and that public video shows several officers “in a scuffle with someone.”
When asked about the DHS’ account of the incident, O’Hara said, “The video speaks for itself.”
The DHS did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for further comment on Jan. 25.
Leave a Comment
News
The Corporate Playbook Unmasked: Why Million-Dollar Empires Always Brand Lost Experts as “Reckless Amateurs”
MALÉ, Maldives — The official narrative surrounding the deadliest diving disaster in Maldives history has completely disintegrated over the past 24 hours. What multi-million-dollar resort operators desperately tried to brand as “tourist negligence” has transformed into a high-stakes international manslaughter investigation. With the dramatic recovery of a second body from the notorious Alimathaa cave system […]
FORBIDDEN ALLIANCE: Tommy Norris And Cami Miller Secretly Team Up To Blackmail M-Tex Giants!
[SHOCKING LEAK] Landman Season 3 Kills Off A Major Norris Family Member Over Deadly Cartel Debt! Taylor Sheridan just dealt a devastating blow to fans. Inside sources reveal that an irreplaceable member of the Norris family will pay the ultimate price under Gallino’s gun to clear Tommy’s sins in the upcoming premiere! The dust in […]
THE BEST FRIEND’S ALIBI CRUMBLES: SLED Inside Sources Confirm Late-Night Interrogation In Tyler Doyle Case!
THE AMBUSH AT SEA: Best Friend Interrogated, Boat Sabotaged as SLED Unlocks the Tyler Doyle Investigation MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. — The narrative of a tragic duck hunting accident that gripped South Carolina for over three years has completely collapsed. Following the shocking recovery of 22-year-old Tyler Doyle’s remains 13 kilometers away from the alleged capsize […]
JUST IN: “They Blamed My Dead Family To Save Their Millions”—Grieving Father Exposes Cruise Empire!
Top divers join perilous mission to recover Italian tourists’ remains from Maldives sea cave Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, on May 15, 2026. Maldives President’s Media Division/AP International cave divers have arrived in the Maldives to step up the search for the remains of four Italians […]
T0XIC AIR LINES: Chilling Connection Found Between Fallen Military Diver And Lost Italian Team!
Top divers join perilous mission to recover Italian tourists’ remains from Maldives sea cave Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, on May 15, 2026. Maldives President’s Media Division/AP International cave divers have arrived in the Maldives to step up the search for the remains of four Italians […]
THE TIME GAP MYSTERY: Hidden Deck Footage Captures Final Heated Argument Before 5 Divers V-nished!
A Maldivian military diver has died while searching for the bodies of four Italian divers Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital. Divers prepare to search for the four missing Italian divers near Alimathaa Island, Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, […]
End of content
No more pages to load










