The desperate search for Nancy Guthrie continues as investigators scramble for clues into the 84-year-old’s mysterious disappearance
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(729x260:731x262):format(webp)/nancy-guthrie-arizona-home-022526-5bfeb5d87faf45c8bef00fcaa7484ffc.jpg)
Nancy Guthrie’s Tucson, Ariz., house; Nancy and Savannah Guthrie.Credit : Joe Raedle/Getty; Don Arnold/WireImage
Nancy Guthrie’s home “has been processed and has been available” to her family since the first week she vanished, though authorities have returned to the house for further investigation, the Pima County Sheriff’s Office tells PEOPLE.
Other outlets reported on Wednesday, Feb. 25, that authorities are only preparing to turn the house over to the family at this time.
Nancy, the 84-year-old mother of Today show co-host Savannah Guthrie, is believed to have been abducted from her Tucson, Ariz., home in the early morning hours of Sunday, Feb. 1.
Her family called 911 at 12:03 p.m. local time on Feb. 1 to report her missing after she failed to join friends to watch a virtual church service.
Authorities descended upon Nancy’s longtime home to search for the mother of three, who was last seen going into her garage at 9:50 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 31, after having dinner at her daughter Annie’s nearby home.
For days after Nancy vanished, investigators from the Pima County Sheriff’s Office and the FBI combed through evidence at her house, searching for any clue as to what happened to her.
During a Feb. 3 press conference, Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos said that the house had been released to the family. On Feb. 8, the sheriff’s office said it will keep a security presence at the home for security concerns at the request of the Guthrie family.
The FBI and sheriff’s office needed to further investigate the property after Feb. 8, but the property was still available to the family at that time, a sheriff’s spokesperson tells PEOPLE.
“The family remains in possession of the home and will continue to do so,” says a law enforcement source familiar with the investigation.
One of the biggest breaks in the case came on Tuesday, Feb. 10, when authorities released surveillance photos and video footage of a masked man carrying a gun on Nancy’s front porch that same morning.
The FBI Phoenix office described the suspect as “a male, approximately 5’9” – 5’10” tall, with an average build. In the video, he is wearing a black, 25-liter ‘Ozark Trail Hiker Pack’ backpack” that may have been purchased at Walmart.
The identification of the backpack is one of the most promising leads authorities have had so far, said Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(496x555:498x557):format(webp)/Nancy-Guthrie-suspect-5-021226-3ff65add6128409c90d24813c20538f5.jpg)
Authorities believe the assailant carried this type of backpack that may have been purchased at Walmart.FBI Phoenix/X
Nancy’s doorbell camera was disconnected at 1:47 a.m., local time. Then, a person was detected on the camera at 2:12 a.m. Sixteen minutes later, at 2:28 a.m., Nancy’s pacemaker was disconnected from the pacemaker app on her cellphone, authorities previously said.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x0:751x2):format(webp)/NancyGuthries-house-in-Tucson-Arizona-021226-272b206e9370480cb047a028575820ce.jpg)
Nancy Guthrie; Nancy Guthrie’s house in Tucson, Ariz.Savannah Guthrie/Instagram; Brandon Bell/Getty
One promising lead came on Friday, Feb. 13, when the Pima County Sheriff’s Department (PSCD) said, “DNA other than Nancy Guthrie’s and those in close contact to her has been collected from the property.”
The DNA sample was mixed, Nanos said, however, making it difficult to identify whose it is.
Authorities also found a glove less than two miles from Nancy’s home that appeared to match gloves worn by the person pictured in previously released surveillance footage, according to the FBI, PEOPLE previously reported.
Investigators ran DNA found on the glove through the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS), the FBI’s national DNA database system, but failed to come up with any hits, the sheriff’s office said on Tues., Feb. 17.
Meanwhile, Nanos said in a statement on Monday, Feb. 16, that “The Guthrie family — to include all siblings and spouses — has been cleared as possible suspects.”
On Tuesday, Feb. 24, the Guthrie family announced a $1 million reward for any information leading to Nancy’s recovery or an arrest in the case. The FBI’s $100,000 reward for information remains active.
News
Oakland Tragedy: The identities of three people k!lled after a car pl0wed into a cr0wd of pedestrians in East Oakland have been released
OAKLAND, Calif. – Three pedestrians were killed and several others were hurt when a car rammed into them late Saturday night in East Oakland. What we know: The crash happened at about 11:15 p.m. in the area of International Boulevard and 85th Avenue. A witness said the incident began with a collision between a blue vehicle and […]
East Oakland Horror: Authorities have named the three victims k!lled when a car cr@shed into a cr0wd of people walking nearby
OAKLAND, Calif. – Three pedestrians were killed and several others were hurt when a car rammed into them late Saturday night in East Oakland. What we know: The crash happened at about 11:15 p.m. in the area of International Boulevard and 85th Avenue. A witness said the incident began with a collision between a blue vehicle and […]
Desperate Plea: Kouri Richins’ lover begged for one thing during her sentencing hearing, but everyone in the courtroom reportedly sh00k their heads
Kouri Richins prepares to speak at her sentencing Wednesday at 3rd District Court in Park City, Utah. Trent Nelson/Pool/The Salt Lake Tribune/AP Before a judge sentenced Kouri Richins for fatally poisoning her husband, the couple’s three young sons made their feelings clear. They urged Judge Richard Mrazik to sentence their mother – who two of […]
The family of the University of Washington student could no longer stay silent, bringing the final 10-minute audio of their child into the suspect’s trial
SEATTLE – The man suspected of fatally stabbing a University of Washington student may have been involved in a 2013 lawsuit against a Seattle private school over allegations of bullying. Seattle police said Christopher Leahy, 31, turned himself in to Bellevue police at about 10:20 p.m. Wednesday. He was interviewed by homicide detectives before being […]
First Court Appearance: The suspect in the University of Washington student case appeared before a judge for the first time as his lawyer revealed evidence claiming he is innocent
SEATTLE – The man suspected of fatally stabbing a University of Washington student may have been involved in a 2013 lawsuit against a Seattle private school over allegations of bullying. Seattle police said Christopher Leahy, 31, turned himself in to Bellevue police at about 10:20 p.m. Wednesday. He was interviewed by homicide detectives before being […]
New Evidence: As Kouri Richins moves forward with her appeal, her best friend has stepped in with another piece of alleged proof
(NewsNation) — In an emotional final statement before being sentenced to life in prison, Utah mom and children’s book author Kouri Richins spoke directly to her three sons, apologizing and urging them to “choose forgiveness and love.” Flanked by her attorneys, Richins spoke publicly Wednesday for the first time since her trial began. “I did not abandon you,” […]
End of content
No more pages to load





