Brendan Banfield, who was allegedly having an affair with au pair Juliana Peres Magalhaes, is accused of killing his wife and another man in 2023
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(751x441:753x443):format(webp)/Brendan-Banfield-Christine-Banfield-Juliana-Peres-Magalhaes-011326-b829d66a3dcf437f9d1ac17a669561da.jpg)
Brendan Banfield, Christine Banfield, center, and Juliana Peres Magalhaes, right.Credit : Fairfax County Police Department; Christine Banfield/Facebook; Fairfax County Police Department
The attorney representing the former federal agent accused of killing his wife and another man argued in court that the entire alleged BDSM murder plot was made up by the au pair connected to the case.
Brendan Banfield is on trial for murder in connection with the 2023 deaths of his wife, Christine Banfield, who was stabbed to death, and Joseph Ryan, who was fatally shot.
Prosecutors have said Brendan was having an affair with Juliana Peres Magalhaes, his family’s au pair, beginning in 2022.
The prosecution’s case revolves around an alleged plot in which Brendan is accused of creating a profile on Fetlife.com, a bondage website, and posing as his wife.
Brendan allegedly then began communicating with Ryan and discussing a “consensual sexual encounter involving restraints used on [Christine], her clothing being cut off with a knife he brought, and other violent sexual role play,” prosecutors said.
After luring Ryan to their Virginia home on Feb. 23, 2023, Brendan is accused of shooting him and then stabbing his wife. Peres Magalhaes was accused of shooting Ryan again after seeing him move.
Peres Magalhaes became the prosecution’s key witness after she pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the death of Ryan in 2024 and testified at Brendan’s 2026 trial, stating that he told her he wanted to “get rid” of Christine, NBC4 reported.
Brendan, however, has denied the charges and during closing arguments on Friday, Jan. 30, his attorney John Carroll told the jury the alleged plot was fabricated, per CNN.
“Juliana made it up,” Carroll said, according to the outlet. “She told the Commonwealth what they wanted to hear, and without question they just took it as their story. She told this lie to secure herself a deal that benefited her.”
Prosecutors previously claimed that Brendan allegedly planned to make the incident look like a home invasion and instructed Peres Magalhaes to call Christine’s phone when Ryan entered the home and then to call him while he waited at a nearby McDonald’s.
Peres Magalhaes testified, per NBC4, that prior to the alleged murders, Brendan changed his routine so that it wouldn’t seem strange that he was at a McDonald’s.
Prosecutors have claimed previously that Brendan subsequently received the call and drove home, before allegedly shooting Ryan and stabbing Christine. But Brendan’s defense attorney pointed to DNA analysis that he says did not find his client’s DNA on the knife, CNN reported.
“In pursuing this case, the Commonwealth has presented absolutely no forensics evidence that supports that Brendan Banfield had anything to do with this, yet the story continues,” Carroll reportedly said.
Previously, according to NBC 4, Carroll claimed that Peres Magalhaes was only arrested to “flip her against my client.”
News
Familiar Spot: The four missing divers in the Maldives cave were found in a well-known location just 500 meters from shore, but the depth left everyone horrified
Spokesperson for Indian Ocean island nation says they will try to recover explorers in next couple of days Maldives marine police boats during a search operation in Vaavu Atoll on Saturday, Photograph: Sophia Nasif/EPA Rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days […]
B0dies Recovered: The four remaining missing divers from the Maldives diving accident have been found, and all of them shared one chilling detail
Five divers died in the Thursday, May 14 accident, with the first body found hours later Giorgia Sommacal; Monica Montefalcone; Gianluca Benedetti.Credit : Giorgia Sommacal/Instagram; University of Genoa; Fotogramma/ROPI via ZUMA Press The bodies of four Italian tourists who went missing while scuba diving in the Maldives last week have been found. Five divers went missing […]
Day Five Horror: The Maldives cave search has taken a darker turn after reports that the 30-meter depth limit was ignored
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Depth Limit Ignored: Chilling new details have emerged in the Maldives cave tragedy as the search enters day five after the 30-meter safety limit was reportedly passed
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Fatal Mistake: The five tourists who vanished under the Maldives cave system reportedly d!ed because of one simple action common among travelers
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
D3ath Cause Revealed: The cause of d3ath for five tourists missing inside a Maldives cave has been traced to one action almost every traveler has done before
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
End of content
No more pages to load









