This is the moment a teenage girl is nearly swept out to sea while taking a selfie on a harbour wall during Storm Ingrid.
The footage shows the youngster walking right to the edge of the wall in Paignton, Devon, crouching down as waves crash over the side.
She is soon submerged by the violent sea and lets out a scream before running for cover. But rather than finding safety, she returns to the edge again in an attempt to take the dramatic selfie.
The girl even removes her coat and enters the water for a third attempt. This time, she is completely drenched by a wave which almost knocks her off balance.
Finally realising the danger she was putting herself in, she climbs out of the sea and leaves the harbour area.
The video was taken by a shocked bystander last night as Storm Ingrid continues to batter South-West Britain with 60mph gusts.
The storm, which activated flood alerts amid rail line shutdowns, has wreaked havoc in the South West and washed away part of a historic pier in Devon.
Huge chunks of Teignmouth Grand Pier, built in 1865, went missing after it was hit by strong waves and rain throughout Friday night.

+5
View gallery
This is the moment a teenage girl is nearly swept out to sea while taking a selfie on a harbour wall during Storm Ingrid

+5
View gallery
The footage shows the youngster walking right to the edge of the wall in Paignton, Devon, crouching down as waves crash over the side before she runs for cover
The latest video of a teenager’s selfie attempts has prompted calls on social media for better education for young people about the dangers of the sea.
Jenny Brennand said: ‘These kids have obviously never been taught about the force of nature.
‘The force of water is unforgiving and they would expect others to risk their lives if they had been pulled in and out to sea.’
Other commenters said there had been tragedies at that spot in the past with people being swept out to sea.
Kaz Faiers said: ‘I lost a very good friend in Paignton to the sea back in the 70’s. Just watch from a safe distance, don’t risk your life.’
Roger Simonite added: ’50 years ago I lost a school friend, who got washed over Paignton harbour wall into the raging sea, his life was snatched away, nature needs to be respected.’
Forecasters have warned of ‘wintry hazards’ next week for the North and East of the UK, with the chance of snow for some places.
There is also another Met Office yellow warning for rain covering large parts of South-West England and South Wales from 6pm on Monday to 2pm on Tuesday.

+5
View gallery
Storm Ingrid hits Dawlish train station on Saturday as high waves pound the train track with Devon taking the brunt of the high winds and rain

+5
View gallery
Huge chunks of Teignmouth Grand Pier, built in 1865, went missing after it was hit by strong waves and rain throughout Friday night

+5
View gallery
A walker clings on to a lamppost as Storm Ingrid hit Devon on Saturday
Met Office meteorologist Tom Morgan said: ‘Generally, it’s a bit of a mixed picture through the next few days. We’ve got a strong jet stream powering across the North Atlantic, fuelled by a big temperature contrast across North America.
‘As it comes across the Atlantic, it gets stormy across the UK. So, unfortunately, the weather is looking very much unsettled right the way across the coming week.’

Mr Morgan said high winds could cause travel disruption and flooding in the week ahead, adding that Tuesday is likely to be a particularly blustery and wet day – and further rainfall warnings are likely.
‘There is also a small chance we will see some disruptive snow, mainly across the higher ground of northern England and Scotland on Tuesday, and so, locally, if you are travelling highland routes, that could also be problematic with snow falling,’ he said.
Three people were killed in a sea tragedy off Withernsea, East Yorkshire, earlier this month.
Grace Keeling, 15, was swept out to sea while watching a wave and her mother, Sarah Keeling, 45, and passerby Mark Ratcliffe, 67, died attempting to save her.
News
Day Five Horror: The Maldives cave search has taken a darker turn after reports that the 30-meter depth limit was ignored
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Depth Limit Ignored: Chilling new details have emerged in the Maldives cave tragedy as the search enters day five after the 30-meter safety limit was reportedly passed
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Fatal Mistake: The five tourists who vanished under the Maldives cave system reportedly d!ed because of one simple action common among travelers
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
D3ath Cause Revealed: The cause of d3ath for five tourists missing inside a Maldives cave has been traced to one action almost every traveler has done before
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
“Mom, h3lp me, please,” one of the missing Maldives cave vict!ms b3gged during his last phone call with his mother
MALE, Maldives — The search for four Italian divers missing deep inside a Maldivian underwater cave system was suspended Saturday following the death of a military rescue diver. Mohamed Mahdi, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died from decompression sickness during the treacherous recovery mission, according to presidential spokesman Mohamed Hussain Shareef. Monica […]
Fatal Dive: A diver searching for five Italian passengers in the Maldives cave system l0st his life, and officials have now named him
Tour operator denies authorizing the descent, says divers appeared to be using standard recreational equipment A perilous search for the bodies of four Italian divers missing deep inside a Maldivian cave was halted Saturday after a military diver died during the mission. Mohamed Mahdi, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died from decompression […]
End of content
No more pages to load








