Michele Hundley Smith was located in February 2026 after disappearing in 2001. She was arrested this week on a warrant tied to a DWI from weeks before she went missing.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(749x0:751x2):format(webp)/michelle-smith-022626-c91ccc061597447abe9d81dcb140640e.jpg)
Credit : namus.gov; Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office
A North Carolina woman who resurfaced 24 years after she was reported missing has now been arrested on an outstanding driving while impaired (DWI) charge dating back to 2001.
Michele Hundley Smith was taken into custody in Robeson County on an outstanding failure-to-appear warrant tied to the November 2001 DWI charge, according to a Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office press release.
Court records show Smith was cited for driving while impaired on Nov. 11, 2001, and failed to appear in court on Dec. 27, 2001, per the release.
She was arrested on Wednesday, Feb. 25, and posted bond the same day. She is scheduled to appear in Rockingham County District Court on March 26.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(586x0:588x2):format(webp)/Michelle-Hundley-Smith-mugshot2-022626-cf04b3e0009e494c8a4d1ceaaee5fef9.jpg)
Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office
PEOPLE previously reported that Smith was 38 years old when she disappeared on Dec. 9, 2001, after she left her Rockingham County, N.C., home to go Christmas shopping in Martinsville, Va., and never returned. Her husband told authorities at the time that she did not come back.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(753x571:755x573):format(webp)/Michele-Lyn-Smith-022226-2-d804569327124da7b44b464ff374850d.jpg)
namus.gov
Earlier this month, detectives made contact with Smith at an undisclosed location in North Carolina after receiving new information in the decades-old case. Authorities said she was located face-to-face on Feb. 20 and was “alive and well.”
Smith, a mother of three, told investigators she left in 2001 due to ongoing domestic issues, PEOPLE previously reported. Authorities said there were no prior domestic reports on file and no evidence of foul play.
Rockingham County District Attorney Katie Gregg said there was not enough evidence to pursue criminal charges related to Smith’s disappearance, such as abandonment, WFMY reported. However, the original DWI charge remained active.
Over the years, local, state and federal agencies — including the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation and the FBI — assisted in the investigation, per the outlet.
PEOPLE previously reported that Smith’s daughter expressed mixed emotions after learning her mother was alive, writing on social media that she felt “ecstatic,” “pissed,” “heartbroken” and “all over the map.”
News
Oakland Tragedy: The identities of three people k!lled after a car pl0wed into a cr0wd of pedestrians in East Oakland have been released
OAKLAND, Calif. – Three pedestrians were killed and several others were hurt when a car rammed into them late Saturday night in East Oakland. What we know: The crash happened at about 11:15 p.m. in the area of International Boulevard and 85th Avenue. A witness said the incident began with a collision between a blue vehicle and […]
East Oakland Horror: Authorities have named the three victims k!lled when a car cr@shed into a cr0wd of people walking nearby
OAKLAND, Calif. – Three pedestrians were killed and several others were hurt when a car rammed into them late Saturday night in East Oakland. What we know: The crash happened at about 11:15 p.m. in the area of International Boulevard and 85th Avenue. A witness said the incident began with a collision between a blue vehicle and […]
Desperate Plea: Kouri Richins’ lover begged for one thing during her sentencing hearing, but everyone in the courtroom reportedly sh00k their heads
Kouri Richins prepares to speak at her sentencing Wednesday at 3rd District Court in Park City, Utah. Trent Nelson/Pool/The Salt Lake Tribune/AP Before a judge sentenced Kouri Richins for fatally poisoning her husband, the couple’s three young sons made their feelings clear. They urged Judge Richard Mrazik to sentence their mother – who two of […]
The family of the University of Washington student could no longer stay silent, bringing the final 10-minute audio of their child into the suspect’s trial
SEATTLE – The man suspected of fatally stabbing a University of Washington student may have been involved in a 2013 lawsuit against a Seattle private school over allegations of bullying. Seattle police said Christopher Leahy, 31, turned himself in to Bellevue police at about 10:20 p.m. Wednesday. He was interviewed by homicide detectives before being […]
First Court Appearance: The suspect in the University of Washington student case appeared before a judge for the first time as his lawyer revealed evidence claiming he is innocent
SEATTLE – The man suspected of fatally stabbing a University of Washington student may have been involved in a 2013 lawsuit against a Seattle private school over allegations of bullying. Seattle police said Christopher Leahy, 31, turned himself in to Bellevue police at about 10:20 p.m. Wednesday. He was interviewed by homicide detectives before being […]
New Evidence: As Kouri Richins moves forward with her appeal, her best friend has stepped in with another piece of alleged proof
(NewsNation) — In an emotional final statement before being sentenced to life in prison, Utah mom and children’s book author Kouri Richins spoke directly to her three sons, apologizing and urging them to “choose forgiveness and love.” Flanked by her attorneys, Richins spoke publicly Wednesday for the first time since her trial began. “I did not abandon you,” […]
End of content
No more pages to load






