A newly released video shows 37-year-old Alex Pretti confronting federal immigration officers on a Minneapolis street 11 days before he was fatally shot in another encounter with Customs and Border Protection agents, a Pretti family representative confirmed to CBS News Wednesday.
The representative said the family knew about the incident and that he sustained injuries, but did not receive medical care.
The video was recorded on Jan. 13 and posted Wednesday by The News Movement, a digital media outlet. It shows Pretti confronting federal agents along with other protesters. The video was verified by CBS News partner BBC News, and CBS News has confirmed the footage was filmed in Minneapolis.
In the video, he is seen kicking and damaging the taillight of a government SUV. The vehicle then stops, and federal agents emerge and tackle him to the ground.
There appears to be a handgun in his waistband — as was also seen in footage from the day Pretti was killed.
The video does not indicate whether Pretti was detained by federal officers following the Jan. 13 incident.
Later in the video, officers deploy chemical irritants in the street as a number of other people shout, honk their horns or stand around filming the scene on their phones.
A Department of Homeland Security official told CBS News investigators with Homeland Security Investigations were aware of the video and are analyzing it.
Other videos from the scene that day also appear to show Pretti.
Pretti was wearing very similar clothing in footage from Saturday, Jan. 24, the day he was shot and killed.
“A week before Alex was gunned down in the street — despite posing no threat to anyone — he was violently assaulted by a group of ICE agents,” Steve Schleicher, an attorney for the Pretti family, told CBS News in a statement regarding the video. “Nothing that happened a full week before could possibly have justified Alex’s killing at the hands of ICE on Jan 24.”
Pretti, an intensive care nurse with the Veterans Administration, was shot as he and several others protested an operation by immigration officers in south Minneapolis. Videos from the scene showed that he had a cellphone in his hand before being shoved to the ground by several CBP agents, one of whom removes a gun from Pretti’s waist during a skirmish moments before another agent opened fire.
According to a government report sent to Congress and obtained by CBS News Tuesday, two CBP agents fired their weapons during the encounter.
Trump administration officials have alleged that the shots fired by the agents were “defensive” in nature.
The agents involved in the incident have been placed on leave, a federal law enforcement official told CBS News Wednesday.
Pretti was a lawful gun owner with a permit to carry, local officials said. Under Minnesota law, it’s legal to carry a handgun in public if you have a valid permit.
News
Familiar Spot: The four missing divers in the Maldives cave were found in a well-known location just 500 meters from shore, but the depth left everyone horrified
Spokesperson for Indian Ocean island nation says they will try to recover explorers in next couple of days Maldives marine police boats during a search operation in Vaavu Atoll on Saturday, Photograph: Sophia Nasif/EPA Rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days […]
B0dies Recovered: The four remaining missing divers from the Maldives diving accident have been found, and all of them shared one chilling detail
Five divers died in the Thursday, May 14 accident, with the first body found hours later Giorgia Sommacal; Monica Montefalcone; Gianluca Benedetti.Credit : Giorgia Sommacal/Instagram; University of Genoa; Fotogramma/ROPI via ZUMA Press The bodies of four Italian tourists who went missing while scuba diving in the Maldives last week have been found. Five divers went missing […]
Day Five Horror: The Maldives cave search has taken a darker turn after reports that the 30-meter depth limit was ignored
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Depth Limit Ignored: Chilling new details have emerged in the Maldives cave tragedy as the search enters day five after the 30-meter safety limit was reportedly passed
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Fatal Mistake: The five tourists who vanished under the Maldives cave system reportedly d!ed because of one simple action common among travelers
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
D3ath Cause Revealed: The cause of d3ath for five tourists missing inside a Maldives cave has been traced to one action almost every traveler has done before
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
End of content
No more pages to load









