Grace Keeling and mother Sarah Keeling got into trouble in the sea off Withernsea Beach earlier this month.Credit: Family photograph
A body has been recovered and is believed to be that of 15-year-old Grace Keeling who was swept away by waves in the Withernsea beach tragedy which killed three people.
Grace, from Sutton-in-Ashfield in Nottinghamshire, had been with her mum Sarah Keeling, 45, when she got into trouble on January 2, with her mum going in after her to rescue her.
Bystander Mark Ratcliffe, 67, also went in to help the two after spotting the incident on the East Yorkshire beach. Both Sarah and Mark’s bodies were recovered while Grace remained missing for two weeks.
Humberside Police confirmed on Saturday that with the help of HM Coastguard, Humberside Fire and Rescue Service and other specialist assistance, they have been able to safely recover Grace.
In a statement the force said they believe this person to be 15-year-old Grace Keeling who was swept into the sea on Friday, 2 January 2026.
About 100 emergency workers were involved in the search.Credit: Darrin Stevens
Detective Superintendent Simon Vickers said: “This was a deeply upsetting incident, and I cannot begin to understand the heartbreak felt by all the loved ones of those involved.
“We have spoken with Grace’s family and updated them, and we are continuing to support them with specially trained officers at this extremely difficult time. Understandably, they have asked for their privacy, and we would ask that this is respected.
“Grace’s body was discovered at around 8.30am on Thursday, 15 January 2026 by Humberside Police Search Advisors during the extensive searches that have continued over the last fourteen days to find her.
“Due to tide times, conditions and the location, despite every effort it was not possible to safely recover Grace before high tide yesterday. This morning (Saturday, 17 January 2026), with the help of HM Coastguard, Humberside Fire and Rescue Service and other specialist assistance, we have been able to safely recover Grace.
“I would like to reiterate my thanks to everyone who offered their assistance and support in the search for Grace, your help is as always very much appreciated.
“Our thoughts and sincere sympathies will always remain with the families of Grace and Sarah Keeling, and Mark Ratcliffe following this utter tragedy.”
The aftermath of the tragedy saw an outpouring of grief from the Withernsea community.
Thousands of pounds were raised for emergency services such as the RNLI who helped in the search efforts, as well as for the families.
Tributes to Grace from her school meanwhile described her as “a wonderful young person” who “brought joy to the classroom”.
Det Supt Vickers added: “I appreciate this update will understandably cause concern to members of the public, however I would like to offer my reassurance that we have a dedicated team of specialists who are doing everything they can in their efforts to carry out the recovery as safely and as quickly as possible.
“Specialist officers have been in contact with Grace’s family to make them aware of this discovery, and we would please ask people to refrain from speculation with consideration and respect for their privacy.
“We would also ask the public to avoid the area to allow emergency services to work safely. Further updates will be provided as soon as we are able to.”
Inquests into Sarah and Mark’s deaths were opened and adjourned in Hull on Monday morning.
East Yorkshire area coroner Lorraine Harris told the hearing that Ms Keeling’s primary cause of death was drowning, contributed to by head and neck injuries, while Mr Ratcliffe died of drowning, with chest injuries listed as a contributory factor.
News
Day Five Horror: The Maldives cave search has taken a darker turn after reports that the 30-meter depth limit was ignored
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Depth Limit Ignored: Chilling new details have emerged in the Maldives cave tragedy as the search enters day five after the 30-meter safety limit was reportedly passed
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Fatal Mistake: The five tourists who vanished under the Maldives cave system reportedly d!ed because of one simple action common among travelers
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
D3ath Cause Revealed: The cause of d3ath for five tourists missing inside a Maldives cave has been traced to one action almost every traveler has done before
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
“Mom, h3lp me, please,” one of the missing Maldives cave vict!ms b3gged during his last phone call with his mother
MALE, Maldives — The search for four Italian divers missing deep inside a Maldivian underwater cave system was suspended Saturday following the death of a military rescue diver. Mohamed Mahdi, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died from decompression sickness during the treacherous recovery mission, according to presidential spokesman Mohamed Hussain Shareef. Monica […]
Fatal Dive: A diver searching for five Italian passengers in the Maldives cave system l0st his life, and officials have now named him
Tour operator denies authorizing the descent, says divers appeared to be using standard recreational equipment A perilous search for the bodies of four Italian divers missing deep inside a Maldivian cave was halted Saturday after a military diver died during the mission. Mohamed Mahdi, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died from decompression […]
End of content
No more pages to load








