An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah)
(Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP)
An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort after five Italians and a rescue diver died in the Indian Ocean tourist destination’s deadliest diving disaster, an official said.
The five Italians drowned while in a deep underwater cave in remote seas on Thursday, and Maldivian authorities recovered one body later that day.
A rescue diver from the Maldivian National Defence Force also died in hospital on Saturday from decompression-related complications after surfacing during the search, which was later suspended.
Italy, Britain and Australia have already provided assistance in the search for the remaining four Italians in difficult and dangerous conditions, chief government spokesman Mohamed Hussain Shareef told AFP.
“Three Finnish experts from DAN (Divers Alert Network), commissioned by the Italian government, arrived today and will join the search, most probably on Monday,” Shareef said.
The United States had also offered help, he said.
He said foreign assistance in the recovery effort is being coordinated by DAN and the Maldivian Coast Guard, which has sent its largest vessel to the area.
The body of the Italian that was recovered on Thursday was found in a cave at a depth of about 60 metres (195 feet).
A funeral with full military honours was held for Maldivian diver Staff Sergeant Mohamed Mahudhy on Saturday night, Shareef said.
“We are very sad about the tragic loss of the Italians. We are also very saddened by the loss of our own diver,” he said.
“We are two nations united in grief.”
The University of Genoa said the victims included a marine biology professor, her daughter, and two young researchers.
The five deaths were confirmed by Italy’s foreign ministry.
The Maldives also suspended the operating licence on Saturday of the luxury vessel from which the Italians had been diving.
Tourism is a key source of revenue for the low-lying Maldives, a nation of 1,192 tiny coral islands and atolls scattered some 800 kilometres (500 miles) across the equator in the Indian Ocean.
Its pristine beaches, clear turquoise waters and exotic coral reefs attract divers and snorkellers from around the world who often stay at secluded resorts or on live-aboard dive boats.
Several fatalities have been reported in recent years but diving and water sports-related accidents are still relatively rare.
News
Day Five Horror: The Maldives cave search has taken a darker turn after reports that the 30-meter depth limit was ignored
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Depth Limit Ignored: Chilling new details have emerged in the Maldives cave tragedy as the search enters day five after the 30-meter safety limit was reportedly passed
Italian pulmonologist says 5 deaths on same dive suggests problem with tanks, not depth After five Italian divers died while exploring a deep underwater cave off the Maldives, families of the victims are demanding answers. Monica Montefalcone, 52, an associate ecology professor at the University of Genoa, and her daughter, Giorgia, 20, were among the […]
Fatal Mistake: The five tourists who vanished under the Maldives cave system reportedly d!ed because of one simple action common among travelers
An international dive safety group has sent experts to the Maldives to join the search for four missing Italians from a group of five who drowned while diving in a deep underwater cave (Mohamed Afrah) (Mohamed Afrah/AFP/AFP) An international dive safety group sent experts to the Maldives on Sunday to join a multinational recovery effort […]
“Mom, h3lp me, please,” one of the missing Maldives cave vict!ms b3gged during his last phone call with his mother
MALE, Maldives — The search for four Italian divers missing deep inside a Maldivian underwater cave system was suspended Saturday following the death of a military rescue diver. Mohamed Mahdi, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died from decompression sickness during the treacherous recovery mission, according to presidential spokesman Mohamed Hussain Shareef. Monica […]
Fatal Dive: A diver searching for five Italian passengers in the Maldives cave system l0st his life, and officials have now named him
Tour operator denies authorizing the descent, says divers appeared to be using standard recreational equipment A perilous search for the bodies of four Italian divers missing deep inside a Maldivian cave was halted Saturday after a military diver died during the mission. Mohamed Mahdi, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died from decompression […]
D3adly Search: The diver who d!ed while looking for five Italian passengers inside a Maldives underwater cave system has now been identified
Tour operator denies authorizing the descent, says divers appeared to be using standard recreational equipment A perilous search for the bodies of four Italian divers missing deep inside a Maldivian cave was halted Saturday after a military diver died during the mission. Mohamed Mahdi, a member of the Maldivian National Defense Force, died from decompression […]
End of content
No more pages to load









