An elite squad of divers is in a race against time to recover the final bodies of the five Italians who died in Thursday’s tragic incident in the Maldives — hoping they can reach their remains before the sharks do.
Only the body of the doomed group’s diving instructor has been found so far — while a Maldivian military rescue diver perished during the previous search for the other missing divers.
The crack newly assembled European team, including three top divers from Finland, is set to resume the mission to recover the remaining four bodies from inside the treacherous network of underwater caves Monday.

Giorgia Sommacal, 20, was the youngest of the five divers to perish.Giorgia Sommacal / Instagram
The team, assembled and dispatched by Divers Alert Network Europe, includes Sami Paakkarinen and Patrik Gronqvist, who previously successfully recovered surviving divers from a 2014 incident in Norway.
Some of the group also took part in 2018’s successful rescue of a Thai youth soccer team trapped in a cave.
“We’ll bring [the victims’ bodies] back. We can’t leave them at the mercy of the sharks. We need experts here,” DAN Europe CEO Laura Marroni told Italian newspaper La Stampa.
With the divers disappearing after going 200 feet underwater, speed is of the essence, Marroni warned.
“Unfortunately, in warm waters, even if we don’t know exactly what fauna is in the cave, we can’t rule out the risk of predators like sharks or environmental impacts,” she said.
“During past recoveries, the worst happened. So every hour that passes is crucial,” Marroni said.

Muriel Oddenino, 31, also died on the doomed excursion.Muriel Oddenino / Facebook
The elite rescuers have experience of diving to depths of nearly 500 feet, giving them options traditional divers don’t have.
“We offered our decades of experience and selected the best and most experienced divers immediately available: the Finnish team,” Marroni said.

Giorgia’s mother, Monica Montefalcone, succumbed along with her daughter.ZUMAPRESS.com
“We are talking about people among the most competent in the world for these operations,” she said.
The team arrived in the Maldives capital, Male, on Sunday, hours after the death of the Maldivian search diver, Sgt. Major Mohamed Mahudhee.
Mahudhee was filmed Friday standing next to the Maldives President Dr Mohamed Muizzu as plans were made for what turned out to be his final mission.

Federico Gualtieri, 31, was among the five Italian tourists who died.ZUMAPRESS.com
Recent bad weather has also delayed the recovery mission, while a lack of available technical equipment in the Indian Ocean nation is hampering efforts, too.
“The Maldives aren’t known for deep-sea diving or cave diving, so there’s a lack of training or organization for this type of recovery,” Marroni said.

The body of Gianluca Benedetti, a 44-year-old diving instructor, is the only one recovered so far.Albatros Top Boat
The dead tourists — all Italian — were Monica Montefalcone, 52, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, 20, Muriel Oddenino, 31, Gianluca Benedetti, 44, and Federico Gualtieri, 31.
All but one of the victims was from the University of Genoa in northern Italy, while one of the party members survived after making a split-second decision not to enter the water at Vaavu Atoll.

Elite diver Sami Paakkarinen of Finland is taking part in the recovery.Diving Talks
Saturday’s search ended without the recovery of any further remains, with only diving instructor Benedetti’s remains confirmed to have been found.
It’s feared that oxygen toxicity — or the overload of oxygen in a body, which can be triggered by a deep dive — could have been responsible for the deaths.

A highly specialized team of divers has flown from Europe to the Maldives to take part in the mission.SOPHIA NASIF/EPA/Shutterstock
Italy has launched its own investigation into the tragedy, which took place on board a tourist yacht, “Duke of York.”
The luxury vessel, which had around 25 passengers on board at the time, did not have a permit allowing dives to go down more than 100 feet.
The tour operator, Italian company Albatros Top Boat, has insisted no dive beyond that depth was authorized.

The team can reach depths of up to 500 feet below the surface.Maldives Presidents Media Division via APThe company’s lawyer, herself an experienced diver, is flying to the Maldives to personally supervise the recovery mission.
“I want to understand what happened to these poor people and I want to follow the recovery of their bodies,” Orietta Stella said.
News
The legendary diving team that rescued people from a cave in Thailand is now in the Maldives searching for four Italian bodies trapped 60 meters below the surface
An elite squad of divers is in a race against time to recover the final bodies of the five Italians who died in Thursday’s tragic incident in the Maldives — hoping they can reach their remains before the sharks do. Only the body of the doomed group’s diving instructor has been found so far — while a Maldivian […]
Investigators and the public are focusing their attention on one shocking detail: the mysterious 27-second delay before the emergency alarm system was finally activated
Husband who lost wife, daughter in Maldives diving tragedy insists ‘something happened down there’ as he searches for answers A grieving Italian scientist who lost both his wife and a daughter in the Maldives diving tragedy insisted Friday that something wildly unexpected must have happened because his wife was too experienced a diver to have taken risks. […]
The focus of the investigation is now on one suspicious detail: the fact that the emergency alarm system was only activated 27 seconds late
Husband who lost wife, daughter in Maldives diving tragedy insists ‘something happened down there’ as he searches for answers A grieving Italian scientist who lost both his wife and a daughter in the Maldives diving tragedy insisted Friday that something wildly unexpected must have happened because his wife was too experienced a diver to have taken risks. […]
MALDIVES CAVE DIVING CASE: HURTING HUSBAND SPEAKS OUT
Husband who lost wife, daughter in Maldives diving tragedy insists ‘something happened down there’ as he searches for answers A grieving Italian scientist who lost both his wife and a daughter in the Maldives diving tragedy insisted Friday that something wildly unexpected must have happened because his wife was too experienced a diver to have taken risks. […]
THE MYSTERY OF THE 27-SECOND DELAY IN THE DEATHS OF 6 DIVERS: SOMETHING TERRIBLE HAPPENED
Husband who lost wife, daughter in Maldives diving tragedy insists ‘something happened down there’ as he searches for answers A grieving Italian scientist who lost both his wife and a daughter in the Maldives diving tragedy insisted Friday that something wildly unexpected must have happened because his wife was too experienced a diver to have taken risks. […]
Carlo Sommacal, who lost his wife and daughter in the accident, insists that a serious incident occurred underwater that prevented the victims from surfacing
Husband who lost wife, daughter in Maldives diving tragedy insists ‘something happened down there’ as he searches for answers A grieving Italian scientist who lost both his wife and a daughter in the Maldives diving tragedy insisted Friday that something wildly unexpected must have happened because his wife was too experienced a diver to have taken risks. […]
End of content
No more pages to load





