The court has officially handed down the sentence to the husband, who identified himself as a doctor, for intentionally murdering his wife

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) – Jurors in the attempted murder trial of a Maui doctor accused of trying to kill his wife examined the alleged weapon Friday: a bloody rock.

Michelle Amorin, a criminalist from the Honolulu Police Department, testified about DNA testing on a bloody lava rock found at the crime scene last March.

Prosecutors say Gerhardt Konig repeatedly struck his wife, Arielle, on the Pali Puka Trail last year with that rock.

DNA analysis: What testing showed

DNA swabs of the alleged attempted murder weapon were taken from the blood-stained side and from the unstained side of the rock.

“From the stained area at the bottom, how many contributors were there?” asked deputy prosecutor Joel Garner. In DNA testing, contributors means the number of people whose DNA is detected in a sample.

“There was one, female,” said Amorin.

“And from the unstained area of the rock, how many contributors were there?” asked Garner.

“There were two,” said Amorin.

Defense challenges evidence

The prosecution says Gerhardt Konig hit his wife multiple times with a rock, but the defense says she started the scuffle and that he hit her in self defense.

“Obviously DNA cannot tell us how the blood got there, correct?” asked Gerhardt Konig’s attorney, Thomas Otake.

“That is correct,” said Amorin.

“DNA cannot tell us how an altercation may have started, correct?” asked Otake.

“Yes,” said Amorin.

“DNA cannot tell us who may have started an altercation, correct?” asked Otake.

“Yes,” said Amorin.

Additional evidence examined

Evidence was also taken from Gerhardt’s blood soaked T-shirt. A big blood stain came from a female while his shorts had no human DNA.

Gerhardt’s 19-year-old son, Arielle’s stepson, is expected to testify on Tuesday. The jury will hear if Gerhardt confessed to the crime or if it was a desperate suicidal call.

News

MALDIVES CAVE DIVING CASE: HURTING HUSBAND SPEAKS OUT

Husband who lost wife, daughter in Maldives diving tragedy insists ‘something happened down there’ as he searches for answers A grieving Italian scientist who lost both his wife and a daughter in the Maldives diving tragedy insisted Friday that something wildly unexpected must have happened because his wife was too experienced a diver to have taken risks. […]

THE MYSTERY OF THE 27-SECOND DELAY IN THE DEATHS OF 6 DIVERS: SOMETHING TERRIBLE HAPPENED

Husband who lost wife, daughter in Maldives diving tragedy insists ‘something happened down there’ as he searches for answers A grieving Italian scientist who lost both his wife and a daughter in the Maldives diving tragedy insisted Friday that something wildly unexpected must have happened because his wife was too experienced a diver to have taken risks. […]

Carlo Sommacal, who lost his wife and daughter in the accident, insists that a serious incident occurred underwater that prevented the victims from surfacing

Husband who lost wife, daughter in Maldives diving tragedy insists ‘something happened down there’ as he searches for answers A grieving Italian scientist who lost both his wife and a daughter in the Maldives diving tragedy insisted Friday that something wildly unexpected must have happened because his wife was too experienced a diver to have taken risks. […]

HUSBAND SPEAKS OUT IN GRIEF, POLICE FOCUS ON AN UNUSUAL 27-SECOND DEFAULT

Husband who lost wife, daughter in Maldives diving tragedy insists ‘something happened down there’ as he searches for answers A grieving Italian scientist who lost both his wife and a daughter in the Maldives diving tragedy insisted Friday that something wildly unexpected must have happened because his wife was too experienced a diver to have taken risks. […]

HORRIFYING TURNING POINT: A LETTER FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA REVEALS THE TRUTH ABOUT THE DEATHS OF 6 DIVERS IN MALDIVES

The death toll from the Maldives cave diving expedition has now risen to six after research diver Mohamed Mahudhee died during the search and recovery operation. What began as a luxury excursion for five Italian tourists has spiraled into one of the most heartbreaking and controversial tragedies in Maldivian diving history. As teams continue high-risk […]

Update on the Maldives cave diving tragedy: Death toll rises to six following the death of rescue diver Mohamed Mahudhee

Update on the Maldives cave diving tragedy: Death toll rises to six following the death of rescue diver Mohamed Mahudhee. The investigation has taken a shocking step forward as police found a 1.8-meter lead wire containing a handwritten message at the scene The death toll from the Maldives cave diving expedition has now risen to […]

End of content

No more pages to load

Next page