At least eight people have died and one is missing after an avalanche near Lake Tahoe, California. Officials say this is the deadliest avalanche in the U.S. in nearly half a century.
The Nevada County Sheriff’s Office shows members of the rescue team at Soda Springs, California.
According to AP , the incident occurred on the morning of February 17 during a three-day skiing trip in the Sierra Nevada mountains of Northern California, as a severe winter storm was raging along the West Coast of the United States.
According to Captain Russell “Rusty” Greene of the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office, the skiers had almost no time to react. “Someone saw the avalanche and yelled ‘Avalanche!’, but it happened so fast,” he said.
Six members of a guided tour group were rescued approximately six hours after the avalanche occurred. Nevada County Sheriff Shannan Moon said authorities have informed the victims’ families that the operation has now shifted from rescue to searching for bodies.
According to Mr. Greene, the victims – including three guides – were found relatively close together. In total, seven women and two men, aged between 30 and 55, were among those killed and missing. Due to harsh weather conditions, rescue teams have not yet been able to bring the bodies down the mountain.
The US is experiencing a prolonged snowstorm.
Since February 15th, the area has recorded snow depths ranging from 0.9 to 1.8 meters, accompanied by sub-freezing temperatures and strong gusts of wind.
The Sierra Avalanche Forecast Center said the risk of avalanches remained high on February 18, making the snow cover unstable and unpredictable in an area known for its steep cliffs and rugged terrain.
Police Chief Moon said investigators will review the decision to continue the trip despite forecasts of a major storm, and will also clarify whether the tour guides were aware of the warnings.
In dangerous conditions, rescue teams used GPS devices and mobile phone signals to locate the ski group. They reached the survivors just before sunset on February 17th.
According to the Sheriff, the rescue team used snowmobiles to reach the location within 3.2 kilometers, then proceeded cautiously using skis to avoid triggering another avalanche. One of the rescued is still being treated in hospital; a tour guide is among the survivors.
All members of the group carried GPS devices capable of sending emergency signals, and at least one guide was able to send text messages. While waiting to be rescued, the survivors used the available equipment to protect themselves and cope with sub-zero temperatures. According to Ms. Moon, it was the survivors themselves who discovered three bodies while waiting.
Authorities said they received notification of the incident from Blackbird Mountain Guides – the expedition organizer – as well as from emergency locator signals. Initially, it was reported that the group consisted of 16 people, but it was later confirmed that only 15 participated, as one skier withdrew at the last minute.
The heavy snowfall has made the terrain dangerous and difficult to navigate.
The area near the summit of Donner is one of the snowiest places in the Western Hemisphere. According to the Truckee Donner Land Trust, which owns the cluster of tents where the group stays near Frog Lake, the area receives an average of nearly 10 meters of snow per year. Previously closed to the public for almost a century, it only reopened in 2020.
According to forecaster Steve Reynaud of the Sierra Avalanche Centre, the ski group is on the final day of their journey and has spent two nights in camps.
Accessing the campsites in winter requires hours of travel, mountaineering skills, avalanche risk training, and full safety equipment. Blackbird says the trip is suitable for skiers from intermediate to professional levels.
This is the deadliest avalanche in the U.S. since 1981, when 11 climbers died on Mount Rainier, Washington. According to the National Avalanche Center, between 25 and 30 people die each winter in the U.S. due to avalanches.
Authorities are waiting for the right time to release the victims’ identities in order to allow families time to recover emotionally. “They are still in shock. I can’t imagine what they’re going through. Our duty now is to bring the deceased home,” President Moon said.
News
SCREEN GOES BLACK 8 SECONDS BEFORE: ANNOYING DETECTION IN ITALIAN DIVERS’ GOPRO IN MALDIVES
Witnesses at the under-12s game say the alleged remark was followed by a tense exchange near the court fence, with one parent claiming several people immediately reached for their phones… But one detail is now raising even more questions. The Sydney netball incident at Heffron Park continues to captivate public attention with emerging witness testimonies […]
Police are analyzing 47 minutes of CCTV footage from the Duke of York cruise ship to determine the cause
Witnesses at the under-12s game say the alleged remark was followed by a tense exchange near the court fence, with one parent claiming several people immediately reached for their phones… But one detail is now raising even more questions. The Sydney netball incident at Heffron Park continues to captivate public attention with emerging witness testimonies […]
BREAKING NEWS: While 47 minutes of CCTV footage from the superyacht Duke of York is being reviewed, what chills investigators the most is a strange 11-second gap — right before the alarm sounded
BREAKING NEWS: While 47 minutes of CCTV footage from the superyacht Duke of York is being reviewed, what chills investigators the most is a strange 11-second gap — right before the alarm sounded Witnesses at the under-12s game say the alleged remark was followed by a tense exchange near the court fence, with one parent […]
Maldives Tragedy: Chilling Revelations from a GoPro at a Depth of 60 Meters
Witnesses at the under-12s game say the alleged remark was followed by a tense exchange near the court fence, with one parent claiming several people immediately reached for their phones… But one detail is now raising even more questions. The Sydney netball incident at Heffron Park continues to captivate public attention with emerging witness testimonies […]
The investigation into the deaths of five Italian tourists at a depth of 200 feet off the coast of the Maldives has gained new insight from a diver’s body-worn GoPro camera. The camera abruptly stopped recording when only eight seconds of footage remained
The investigation into the deaths of five Italian tourists at a depth of 200 feet off the coast of the Maldives has gained new insight from a diver’s body-worn GoPro camera. The camera abruptly stopped recording when only eight seconds of footage remained Witnesses at the under-12s game say the alleged remark was followed by […]
In connection with the deaths of five Italian divers in a cave in the Maldives, investigators are now focusing on analyzing a crucial video clip
Witnesses at the under-12s game say the alleged remark was followed by a tense exchange near the court fence, with one parent claiming several people immediately reached for their phones… But one detail is now raising even more questions. The Sydney netball incident at Heffron Park continues to captivate public attention with emerging witness testimonies […]
End of content
No more pages to load












